Do you have anyone that you can pass on your skills?

-
Me neither. My son who is 22 now has no interest in anything mechanical. He now lives 400 miles away in Toronto and says he will never live back here in the bush. At lest he does have a good work ethics that he got from me. His son just turned 1 but it will be hard to train him being so far away.
I do have a few neighbour kids around and 1 does take interest in the Duster when I have it out, maybe I will see if I can teach him a few things.
Don`t know what will happen with the tens of thousands of tools and garage when I go?

When I was little my dad always had some hotrod. He use to sit me on the fender and tell me to watch. As I grew up I always got the job of cleaning he parts. He never helped me work on my own cars but gave me the confidence to dig into them. My son loves grandpas 58 and loves to take it to car shows. He has never really shown an interest in working on them though. He will do what I make him do on the car he drives and has the aptitude to figure it out but he is more into his musical instruments. Which I has his talent of being able to play any instrument he picks up.

My dad fixed stuff out of necessity. He drove old cars because its what he could afford. Mostly chryslers. Thats prob where i got it from. I bought old cars because they were cool, and he taught me how to fix them up.

I have 3 older daughters, an one son. The girls dont really have an interest in any of this stuff. However my son spends time with me in the shop. He's 4 and loves playing "fixit" with dad and has an interest in cars and tools. I have a 69 notchback on the side for him and i am collecting parts for it while fixing up my 67 notchback.

Heres pix. The socket wrench pic he was 2&1/2. Second pic he is 4. I hope i can teach him and pass on my skills, tools, and love of cars to him.

20150801_150215.jpg

20161231_113829.jpg

Me either.

I started riding motorcycles when I was 6 years old and my dad helped me work on them. That's where my love of mechanics came from. I had one son and one step-son. Tried like hell but couldn't get either one interested in helping me much. Maybe there will be a grandson one day that I could leave my car to.

I don't have any kids, so I guess I'm in a similar boat. I try to share what I know with others, when opportunities arise. A few months ago I helped a fellow FABO member get his car home to work on it by showing him how to hot wire a MOPAR with electronic ignition. My best friend shared it with me decades ago and it has come in handy a few times.

I remember my youngest daughter need a vehicle one time, I had a friend at work give me an old truck, I fixed the major problems with it.
Gave it to her in the middle of summer, the AC did not work, she said she charged it up all by herself.
I was proud of her, and to this day I am not sure how she learned this, but at one time or another she must have seen me charge an ac system and was paying attention.

This is a pic of one of the grand-daughters insisting on putting the head bolts in a 340.
img0453z.jpg

I grew up taking apart every toy or mechanical thing in the house. I remember getting my *** whipped when I took apart an oscillating fan and an antique sewing machine. My old man did basic work on the family cars, brakes, oil changes, etc, and I loved helping him...
I was the same kid, I took the blender apart and got in trouble. I took a 13" B&W TV apart and got kicked in the chest by the fly-back transformer (that was an eye opener to respect electronics!) so now I'm living the dream...fixing telephone lines...NOT! My 15 year old is a sports fan, good for him...anything sports and he plays Soccer and track. My 10 year old has more of a robotics interest, internet and crafts. He'll probably be the one to take an interest but he'll probably end up fixing cars with a computer instead of a wrench. My 2 year old just likes my attention...5 hours a night. My older sister on the other hand...She could change the brake pads on Her CRX in about 10 minutes!

I have no one to leave anything to either. I had 2 sons. The youngest wanted to lay in bed playing video games. Oldest son already knew everything. Tore up every car he had. Haven't seen or spoken to them in over 5 years. We live in different states.

Echoes my situation.

Over the years I wondered how I would have dealt with the possibility of having a kid that was gay, awkward, ugly, handicapped, autistic, deformed or just UNinterested in my hobbies. I am probably not mature or strong enough to deal with having a child that dislikes cars but I could probably learn to live with the other stuff.

I only had one kid that happened to be a girl. Well she was into cars and stuff with me and when she was 14 I took her to a salvage auction and told her she could pick out any wreck that she wanted to help rebuild for her first car. The only condition? It had to be a Mopar. So she picks out a 1983 D-150 slant six short bed truck with a 904 trans. It was hit pretty hard in the front. So we drug it home and over the next two years we fixed her all up. This was 1995. She drove that truck all through high school and college at USF where she got her BA degree. She learn to drive defensively and the hiccups of a carburetor. She went on to being my pit help through the years I ran my Super Gas 67 Barracuda.But then she falls in love and moves off! But that's ok she gave me a grandson I call Bucket Head we hang out riding 4 -wheelers and such, AH life is good!

Last edited:
I have three boys! One of the best things my Dad did for me was drag me underneath the cars whenever he was working on them. It has saved me a bunch of money over the years and has helped me be successful in my career. Naturally, I did the same with my boys. I hope they hold on to it and put it to good use one day. On my cars when I'm too old to do it!
IMG_20151013_164014807.jpg
IMG_20151013_164047598.jpg
IMG_20160819_104627762_HDR.jpg
Picture 715.jpg
Picture 799.jpg
Picture 844.jpg
Picture 868.JPG
Picture 890.JPG
Picture 991.jpg
Picture 1070.jpg
Picture 1073.jpg

Shoot, man... Those kids are adorable. That stuff warms my heart. Thanks for those pictures.

Those boys look like my three hoodlums. Mine are 26, 28 and 30 now, all licensed tradesmen and big into V8 rear wheel drive cars. Youngest son is Mr. Mopar auto mechanic at a Ford dealership '72 Demon drag car and knows as much about the old ones as me. Next is all Ford man, we back halved his "88 Mustang 351W last year, and now can weld as good as me. Oldest is out west just bought a Dodge truck and wants to build a rat rod or front engine dragster some day. I am so lucky to have them and the love of cars. One is giving me my first grandchild in June.

The women in their lives blame me 'cause "all we talk about is cars and football" when we get together. I still can't see the problem.

-
Back