Do you have regular or antique/classic plates?

My e-body is your registered as:

• Regular plate

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Classic plate with restrictions

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Antique plate with restrictions

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Classic or antique, but my state doesnt have restrictions on these plates' use

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
-

shadango

Reaction score
I was all gung ho about getting antique plates for my car....I figured that I can abide by the "only occasionally driven" rules....the only real beneoft to it in PA is that you dont need the yearly safety inspection....since the car will probably see very few miles I figured why pay the yearly registration and inspection costs......in PA, you pay once for Antique (97.50) and the plate is permanant. Cool.

Well, after waiting a week, the state finally got back to me....DENIED.

The denied my app on the grounds that I have aftermarket wheels on the car.

So I am bummed.

truth be told, I like rally rims better than what I have...but the ones Ihave are brand new, with brand new tires.....rears are wider than the fronts.....wheels too....although you cant see that in the pictures sent to the state.....I didnt think it mattered.....I thought that the USE of a nearly 40 year old vehicle was the point to the plate, not the LOOKS of it. :angry7:

I was wrong.

So, how many of you have your old Mopar registered regular or antique? (Sorry, in the poll I asked "ebody"...meant all mopars...LOL)

I have them on my car ( Minnesota ) no problem getting them .. seems like a strange excuse from the State ?

P1010109.jpg

I don't think we have any rules like that in Colorado either. I think the only requirement here is that the car is 25 years or older. I have the antique plates on mine now but we can also run the year of the car on antique cars, so I'm going to try and find a pair of '69 plates to put on mine. We do have the law about running an issued plate in the front though.

Thats a hot a body man!

It would be denied for SURE with that hardware sticking out of the hood....

Do you have to have a safety inspection?

I was told that the car has to be "substantially original.

Apparantly wheels make it otherwise cause to look at my car, its 100% stock.

In Michigan, if you have a plate from the year your car was built, you can register it for $65 (not sure but its close to that) and never pay for plates again.

Not a problem with Antique plates in Kentucky, they even look at the car before issuing any plates for the first time, I have headers on my super six, ralley wheels. :cheers:

No restrictions in Georgia either.
As to PA, can you appeal; or in the alternative submit a photo with stock wheels? You might could borrow a set from someone long enough to take the picture.
C

In Washington state the restrictions are "to and from shows, testing purposes". Just can't be a daily driver. They don't look at it. It was less expensive to apply for the "Collector/Antique" plate than buy tabs for a regular one. And, I'll never have to buy tabs again. No longer have to run a front plate either.

Yeah I understand the wheels thing. We're from PA also but the rules say that it cant be modified and i guess they consider wheels a modification. We have known people that have put 2 stock wheels on one side of the car just long enough to take pictures and then take them back off.

We have classic plates for the roadrunner. They dont have as many restrictions as the antique plates I guess but there are some, I just dont know them. They dont really care here in Erie anyway. I know that we still have to inspect the car every year but its a one time registration. Once you get the plates, those are yours forever.

In Michigan, if you have a plate from the year your car was built, you can register it for $65 (not sure but its close to that) and never pay for plates again.

The fee is a one time $35, I have 73 plates on my 73 Dart.

sig_pic.jpg

Antique plates, No restrictions in CT. They cost a littl emore but you gat a reduced rate on your yearly tax. Connecticut is one of the few states that charges you yearly property tax on your car .

They are like that up here in BC.

I have to take, I believe, ten pictures showing various parts of the car. I'll have to borrow a stock intake, cause that's the only noticable Non-stock part of the car.

Assuming, of course, that they don't know that the rallye's weren't stock in '65. Or were they?

They do allow safety upgrades, such as disc brakes, radial tires, seat belts, etc.

Like was said, borrow some rims, take new pics and try again.

Good luck and have a great weekend.

I have specialty plates for the 'conquer cancer" coalition on the duster it cost me $81.00 a year,no restrictions what so ever..

Antique plates in Tx......IIRC $50 for 4 years, no inspection necessary, no front plate. If I find some TX plates that match the year of the car the registration can be changed to mount them. Supposed to only be used for parades, driving to shows or repair shops, road testing, etc. Here in Dallas they pretty much ignore me as we have so many people running around with no front plates and no insurance..........

i got historical plates in ohio cost i think 20-30$ good for some thing like 30 years. they have restrictions but they dont mess with you. my favorite one is its ok for maintenance purpeses.i drive the **** out of the car no problem.

I got whats called collector plates on the Duster. Good for as
long as I own it. Here in Wisconsin you can get them if your car
is over 20 years old. Costs around $120.00-$160.00. But there
good for ever.
They never asked for pics here.
You just have to have a year round driver.

I am eligible for classic plates on my 84 rampage.... kinda scary huh? haha. And you're welcome for reminding some of you of your age. But dont worry, you're only as old as you feel right? or so they say.

Antique plates, but no tented windows so there are restrictions

I got whats called collector plates on the Duster. Good for as
long as I own it. Here in Wisconsin you can get them if your car
is over 20 years old. Costs around $120.00-$160.00. But there
good for ever.
They never asked for pics here.
You just have to have a year round driver.

but if you read the regulations, collector plates the car has to be like it came off teh showroom floor. i got hobbiest plates on my dart. they cost $200, but you never have to renew em and they are good for the life of the car, and you can do any mods you want and the only time you cant drive it is for the month of december or janurary (dont remember what one though)

but if you read the regulations, collector plates the car has to be like it came off teh showroom floor. i got hobbiest plates on my dart. they cost $200, but you never have to renew em and they are good for the life of the car, and you can do any mods you want and the only time you cant drive it is for the month of december or janurary (dont remember what one though)

Do you have state safety inspections?

In PA, all vehciles need safety and emissions inspections.......75 and below are exempt from emissions......

If I get an antique plate, no safety inspectiosn are needed.....that saves about $75 a year plus the HASSLE of getting in somewhere that wont nit pick the car.

I have them on my car ( Minnesota ) no problem getting them .. seems like a strange excuse from the State ?

Hey...by the way...it looks like I have the EXACT same wheels as you do, at least on the front!

What brand are they? My car had them on it when I bought it....I know they are made in china, so probably knockoffs.......

Yeah I understand the wheels thing. We're from PA also but the rules say that it cant be modified and i guess they consider wheels a modification. We have known people that have put 2 stock wheels on one side of the car just long enough to take pictures and then take them back off.

We have classic plates for the roadrunner. They dont have as many restrictions as the antique plates I guess but there are some, I just dont know them. They dont really care here in Erie anyway. I know that we still have to inspect the car every year but its a one time registration. Once you get the plates, those are yours forever.

Hemizach...Do you know anyone thats ever been hassled in PA with antique plates on after the fact?

As for borrowing someone's wheels for pics, sounds like a good idea, but the car cant move without plates or inspection and I dont know anyone close...although there is one guy down the street who I am going to ask, but not sure if he can or not...

-
Back