do you know the history of your car?

-
Shawn M said:
No way 180Mph, I am very skeptical. I would need to see a print out of that speed from a radar to beleive that. I think the fastest speed a street tire can do is only 220Km/h after that they tend to disinigrate.

It sounds like a guy a worked with who told me is uncle's 69 Camaro with a 454 went 400Km/H he said the needle went around three times, Ok there Champ!!

well i have gotten alitle older since then and have realized that this kind of speed could be seriusly dangerus one of the reasons i edited in the "dont try this at home" is because of the fact that both front tires showed something i dont know the corect word in english for , but BIG buckles on the insides a while after that so i gues i was real close to a real bad tire blowout
i still dont know how much the converter slipped at that speed but i gues it should slip alot with so much power pushing a car with quiestionable aerodynamics to those speeds like writen its theoretical topspeed, if i could do it again BUT at a safe place with the proper tires and with the chassies set up like it whas back then i would like to try it again with a radar measuring the real speed!

Edit: speedometer was stuck at 240km/h there is a stop there....

I can tell you one thing about these cars. I have gone 160 mph on the strip in a rail. I would not want to go that fast in my Demon.

Jack

Well since we are on the talk about top speed... my friends dad built a 69 Camaro with a 427 bored .030 over and made 898 hp at the rear wheel. Dont believe that I might be able to get the papers off of him saying it. Anyways... there is a 1 1/2 straight away not to far from his house. He started at the top of the mountain and when he reached the bottom and went baout 3/4 of a mile... he said it was clicking on the 200mph Autometer speedo. He guessed around 225mph... but hey... I wasnt there so I dont know for sure.

BoredandStroked said:
Well since we are on the talk about top speed... my friends dad built a 69 Camaro with a 427 bored .030 over and made 898 hp at the rear wheel. Dont believe that I might be able to get the papers off of him saying it. Anyways... there is a 1 1/2 straight away not to far from his house. He started at the top of the mountain and when he reached the bottom and went baout 3/4 of a mile... he said it was clicking on the 200mph Autometer speedo. He guessed around 225mph... but hey... I wasnt there so I dont know for sure.

One would think that after building a 898hp 427, one would not have the gears to do 225. Take away drag and cars can only go as fast as redline in top gear. My 88 M3 with a bit over 200 crank hp would hit mid 150s at 7800. 1000 hp would have got me there faster but the top speed would have been the same.

No, and I really wish I did! That stuff really interests me. I know it came from Georgia to Western New York and that a father and son did a amature restoration on it...luckily and nicely it has no rust has the original 340 in it. I think(was told) it was originaly sold out of somewhere in Chicago/Illinois area dealership. had some paper from a place there you could barely read that did a tune up on it at 3,000 miles it had fallen between the door and window frame and was found(in poor condition) and barely readable when we redid the door skins/panels.(said i think rotated tires,tuned carb, sun scope(what ever that is....timing or distributor?),oil change,and the rest was either missing or too distorted to see...have no idea where that went but is around the house or(lost) again in the car. My father in law bought it from a guy near Buffalo NY who had brought it up from Georgia. and then 3 years ago when He bought a Coronet R/T at Carlisle he said he could not drive both and was going to sell it. I had sold the RoadRunner cause the wife was getting laidoff and paid off all the bills we had just in case of her not finding a job quickly. She did luckily so I asked if he would sell it to me. He did and I picked it up for $4500...all ive added was the side stripes and the rear wing and wheels.

73DartSport340 that sounds very intresting! you should start to reasearch it (i know i would). you might find out some really intresting stuff about it.
"I think(was told) it was originaly sold out of somewhere in Chicago/Illinois area dealership." could this be a mr.norm car? start by doing a title search in georgia, then do one in ny, lastly if the trail turns to illinois do one there. you will get some pretty intresting stuff back when you do this....good luck

73DartSport340 said:
...sun scope(what ever that is....timing or distributor...

LOL, it was an oscilloscope. It was used to read the condition of the spark generated by the ignition to the spark plug, (timing, dwell, among other things). I don't even think modern shops use these anymore. :)

Anyways...I just got back from the CA DMV and I need to fill out a 3 page form in order to get a title history...and it only goes as far back as the last 3 owners. I'll see what happens and keep everyone posted.

Thrashard340 said:
Anyways...I just got back from the CA DMV and I need to fill out a 3 page form in order to get a title history...and it only goes as far back as the last 3 owners. I'll see what happens and keep everyone posted.
man they won't go back anymore than that? what a rip! when i did mine in north carolina they went back for as many titles as had been filed on the car while in the state. they photo copied each title and sent it in a manillia envelope. it was about 10 pages of info. good stuff. even got the original title the selling dealer had. signed from chrysler corp. to cox dodge.....

7demon2 said:
man they won't go back anymore than that? what a rip! when i did mine in north carolina they went back for as many titles as had been filed on the car while in the state. they photo copied each title and sent it in a manillia envelope. it was about 10 pages of info. good stuff. even got the original title the selling dealer had. signed from chrysler corp. to cox dodge.....
Welcome to my world. LOL

I found documentation in my car from two previous owners. I could not locate either one of them. The guy I bought the car from told me the person that restored it was into drugs, and is now in prison.

I know the social security number of the guy but i cant sem to find him. I love the history of a car.My gts is a 383 car.the guy who bought it had 2 new babies,he should have been buying a4 door with a six.Isure could use some help tracking down a few of my cars. phil

LOL, it was an oscilloscope. It was used to read the condition of the spark generated by the ignition to the spark plug, (timing, dwell, among other things). I don't even think modern shops use these anymore.

lol i have no idea I just like driving it im no mechanic :) (wish i was) about all I can do is routine maintainance and polish it up(I did put the rocker arms and oushrods in the heads last year to "freshen it up though :) )and drive it...ifit came to really doing anything major I just pay a profesional to do it RIGHT the first time :) .

dustertogo said:
The history of my 73 340 Duster is simple..........I bought it new Sept. 1973.
dosen't get any simpler than that! hope you have lots of old pics to show changes that may or maynot have occured over the years....

well i now have made the complete journey with my cars history. i was able to track down the first owner last night. man was he ever surprised! he told me that he had bought the car brand new as soon as he got back from vietnam. he said that he actually got married in the car as well. his wife put the just married shaveing creme on it and he told me that it ate through the hood decal. he had to get that reapplied. he was also able to confirm that the wing on the back was a dealer install that he had put on back when he got it new as well as the rocker mouldings. he said that the kept it for 3 years and 32000 miles and traded it in on a 75 cutlass. he said the wife wanted ac! he dosen't live too far away and said he would love to see it again. he said he will try to find any old pics of and mail them to me. pretty cool i think. he said that hearing about his old car was the coolest thing that had happend to him in a long time. i would feel the same way.....

7demon2 said:
dosen't get any simpler than that! hope you have lots of old pics to show changes that may or maynot have occured over the years....

Yeah I've taken plenty of pictures over the years and I've been taking some recently as well. Actually most of the changes have been to the engine, drivetrain, and suspension, that type of thing. As a matter of fact, it still has original paint and striping. Hope to have it back on the road by end of summer or so.

Hey btw, that's pretty cool about you finding the original owner of your car. And if he can come up with some old pics of it when he owned it.....wow!

Our car's story isn't very interesting, but is very special to us.

My father-in-law was the original owner of our 1968 GTS Dart. He rode around in his soon to be wife's cousin's GTS and wanted one. The MIL's cousin had a 383 in his, ours is the 340. After talking to the dealer, he said he wanted a red one. This was a tuesday and the dealer said a red one was due in on friday. He asked if it had a stripe and the salesman said "a white stripe down the side". He told the salesman that, that would be good since he didn't want it if it had the stripe around the back. On Friday, my father-in-law went down to Herb Gordon Dodge in Fairfax, Va. and there sat the GTS. He bought it that night, May 31, 1968. Three days later, he lost control of it and ran it into a ditch, bending something in the front end (this is why I'm looking for a lower control arm, passenger side). He never got it fixed and the front end has been out of alignment since. In 1969, an electric fuel pump was added due to the cam bolt backing out (from the factory). This fuel pump is still in the car! In about 1970, the 3.23 gears were replaced with 3.91's, suregrip. This car was washed DAILY due to him working at his fathers service station. He used it as a daily driver until about 1976 when he pulled the engine down for a rebuild (had about 75000 HARD miles.) At this time, an Isky 310 duration hydraulic cam was added (used), along with a edelbrock torker intake and 800 holley carb. and then just released chassis exit headers. The only problem durability wise he had with the car was once he bent a shifter fork in the transmission. I started dating his daughter in 1988 and began talking trash to him about how much faster my 1970 mustang was than his GTS. Heck, I didn't even know what a GTS was at the time. His daughter told me it was a GTS and I said "do you mean a GTO or GTX". By this time, the car was kept at his in laws house so I had never seen it. One friday night, I was at my girlfriend's house, in the family room, and I heard this car pull up along side the house at about 10 PM that sounded like it had a cam in it with square cam lobes. I said "what the hell is that?" Karen (my girlfriend) said "that's dad's car". Gulp! In came Arthur (my father in law), and with a very serious look on his face said "we need to go for a ride." Karen asked if she could go, but he said no. That was the ride of my life. Melting the tires off burnouts, powershifting every gear. I could not believe how much faster this car was than mine. Needless to say, we never raced.

Fast forward 4 years, I married his daughter. The Dart was only driven a couple times a year from about 1985 to the present. In January 2002, my wife had a baby boy. On mother's day of that year, he gave my wife the GTS. She had never driven it and by this time, I had only a couple of times. I taught her to drive it and on father's day of that year, we had the in laws up to our house. I told Arthur that Karen wanted to see him outside about something. You should have seen the look on his face to see the GTS backed out of the garage with his daughter in the driver's seat. She took him for a short ride and he still talks about it to this day. The GTS is very special to us as this is the car he had when he met his wife (the MIL). Unfortunately, she passed on last year at 53 of an unexpected heart attack. We try to take extra special care of the car because it means a lot to us.

We still have the original invoice in the glove box and EVERY state inspection sticker since new. I was talking to my wife about if the car still had the build sheet since the interior was changed from white to black in the early 70's (white was too hard to keep clean). My in laws were putting the seat belts back in for the back seat when my mother in law says "what's this old piece of paper doing under the springs of the back seat." I could not believe it was still there. My father in law is not big on keeping things original, so it was suprising to see that he didn't ditch it when he had the interior apart so long ago. When we got the car home, I pulled the rear seat bottom back out and got the build sheet. It isn't in good shape, but at least we have it.

Sorry if this is so long, just wanted to tell the story of our GTS. When I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll put some up.

IM the second owner
bought from liitle old ladys son
found 3 build sheets in car
and was given orginal paperwork
her husband bought the car from reedman in langhorne pa
also have letters that an ordered part came in

340GTSDart that is a great story. alot of family ties to the car, some special times,and a nice surprise bonus with the finding of the build sheet! you really couldn't have had a better story for your car.....

mikey parts your car is lucky to have had so many documents. that is pretty cool.

7demon2 said:
340GTSDart that is a great story. alot of family ties to the car, some special times,and a nice surprise bonus with the finding of the build sheet! you really couldn't have had a better story for your car.....

mikey parts your car is lucky to have had so many documents. that is pretty cool.
Thank you for the kind words 7demon2.

340GTSDart...I have to agree with 7demon2 on that... what a story. I hope my in-laws are that cool when I decide to marry haha. Another thing is your story is very interesting and just from reading it... it is special to me. Mopar familys always stick together!

BoredandStroked said:
340GTSDart...I have to agree with 7demon2 on that... what a story. I hope my in-laws are that cool when I decide to marry haha. Another thing is your story is very interesting and just from reading it... it is special to me. Mopar familys always stick together!
Thank you BoredandStroked. I am pretty lucky with the in-laws. I have always have had an excellent relationship with them. My sister isn't so lucky with her in-laws.

-
Back