Do you think a full size car can fit in my garage? Opinions

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am seriously considering buying a 62 full size sedan. I am in the middle of negotiating the deal right now.

Something I hadn't considered till just this evening was the length and width of the car. My garage has only one garage door that is 7 1/2 ft wide. I can fit three cars in my garage by using dollies and pushing them over as the garage is 30 ft wide.

Like this. ( I sold the 71 Dart so I have an open spot)

However, my garage from back wall to door is only 18 1/2 ft deep ( long )

The specs of the 62 are 81.5 inches wide (6ft 10 inch approx) and 209.9 inches long (17 ft 6 inch approx).

Will I have enough room to push it over if I drop the full size car on dollies? Normally I have to push them over myself. Push one corner then the other but with only 11 inches total play can I do it or is it too tight? Too much hassle?

Frig these cars are long! Anyone else work in a tight space like this? Is it worth it or stick to mid small size cars?

Any help is appreciated.

Why not just add another door? The are certainly cheap enough, and even cutting out and reframing the opening couldn't possibly be that expensive.
I added a 14' wide door to a concrete block and stucco wall, and the cost of cutting the block, adding in a new block lentil, finishing the opening (re-stucco and painting), purchasing the door and installing it came to about $6200.00.

It can be even less on a wood framed house.

Why not just add another door? The are certainly cheap enough, and even cutting out and reframing the opening couldn't possibly be that expensive.
I added a 14' wide door to a concrete block and stucco wall, and the cost of cutting the block, adding in a new block lentil, finishing the opening (re-stucco and painting), purchasing the door and installing it came to about $6200.00.

It can be even less on a wood framed house.

Thanks. It is the wish list plans for future but the landscaping and asphalting would be absorbent.

Car may be on its way in the next 10 days.

Best of luck.....seems like garages are never big enough. At least you are concerned ahead of time. Guy I used to work with bought an F-350, long bed with a 4 door cab...and was surprised when it would not fit in the garage. Clown tried to get the dealer to take it back and give him a truck that would fit in the garage, without dinging him on the $$ end of it...this was the same guy who would not make left hand turns....he lived a few miles closer to work than I did. Took me 30 minutes to get there, took him over an hour.....sorry for rambling...

Thanks. It is the wish list plans for future but the landscaping and asphalting would be absorbent.

That cost including removing 18 feet of boxwoods, and widening the drive way to encompass the new door.

Car may be on its way in the next 10 days.

Best of luck to you, however you work it out.

Oh, so your concerned about the length of the car and depth of the garage .

Here's an idea, instead of getting the big car why not get two small Smart cars and park them sideways in one space, after all they're only 8 feet long and you would have one for each foot :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:

Oh, so your concerned about the length of the car and depth of the garage .

Here's an idea, instead of getting the big car why not get two small Smart cars and park them sideways in one space, after all they're only 8 feet long and you would have one for each foot :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:

Yeah, and the next thing I know 65 clowns would come piling out of those 2 little cars into my garage!!

Clowns I tell you......CLOOOOOWWWNNSSSS.....

Here is a thought

Since you put the cars in on dollies, turn them the other direction, put the boat in the back and the short car in front.

Seems like it would work.

If you plan on a bigger door use gravel for time bring to get to it. In the future you can finish it the way you want.

Yeah, and the next thing I know 65 clowns would come piling out of those 2 little cars into my garage!!

Clowns I tell you......CLOOOOOWWWNNSSSS.....

And if you were me and had my luck this is the kind of clowns you'd get.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xSNiPx791A"]Killer Clown Scare Prank! - YouTube[/ame]

Your story reminds me of when my parents bought a brand new 1965 Pontiac Bonneville, brought it home and then discovered it was just under 18.5' in length and too long to fit in the garage and close the doors!

View attachment 65_cat_mclaren_01.jpg

We lived in a small house with a single-car garage that had originally been built back in the late 1920s. The Bonneville barely fit in with only enough room to squeeze out of the door and side-step your way down alongside the car. Luckily the garage doors were double carriage doors (hinged on the sides) rather than on overhead door. They ended up closing the doors as much as they could and then locking them with a chain across the remaining opening. Trouble was the neighbors cat continually got in the garage and left footprints all across the top of the shiny new Bonneville.

Your story reminds me of when my parents bought a brand new 1965 Pontiac Bonneville, brought it home and then discovered it was just under 18.5' in length and too long to fit in the garage and close the doors!

View attachment 1714748806

We lived in a small house with a single-car garage that had originally been built back in the late 1920s. The Bonneville barely fit in with only enough room to squeeze out of the door and side-step your way down alongside the car. Luckily the garage doors were double carriage doors (hinged on the sides) rather than on overhead door. They ended up closing the doors as much as they could and then locking them with a chain across the remaining opening. Trouble was the neighbors cat continually got in the garage and left footprints all across the top of the shiny new Bonneville.

The place I lived in Elmira had a garage like that. The landlord was telling me he was so excited to finally have a garage! The garage was 17' deep and he had a late '80's Grand Marquis station wagon. Guess who was disappointed when he tried to park in it?

Sarah's Hyundai XG fit nicely. Back just a few inches away from the back wall and still had room to work under the hood, standing in front of the car (had to change cam cover gaskets in it).

My M-body barely fit. Had to back the back bumper completely between the beams and had maybe a quarter inch to get the overhead closed. Any time you needed something on the "other" side of the car, you had to open the overhead to get to whatever it was you needed.

Here is a thought

Since you put the cars in on dollies, turn them the other direction, put the boat in the back and the short car in front.

Seems like it would work.

If you plan on a bigger door use gravel for time bring to get to it. In the future you can finish it the way you want.

Hmmmm.....didn't think of that.

-
Back