Do you worry about your car when you take it out?

-
mine is an Ohio car -rusty around the gills but still mine so i am concerned whenever I leave it parked. And besides the fact it was my Mom & Dads', it's still an OL MOPAR not a Camaro so that makes it damn special. You know one time I had the pinion snubber stolen off my car when it was parked behind my apartment. Another time I had a 2 year old Ram stolen on the same night my girlfriend broke up with me-so these things stick with you. These days at night the Dart goes in the garage with 2 cars in front of it and my crappy old 90 (present) truck gets locked .

There are lots of simple things you can do.

Have a tach? Hide a small switch, and ground the tach wire

Electric pump? Hid a small switch in the pump relay.

On the down side, I've yet to figure a nice clean way to lock the hoods of these cars

Didnt the 75, 76 darts have an inside hood release w cable?? If so the hood latch w the cable mount should bolt right onto the mount bracket from 67 up.

Lmk if they went that route in 75/76 and im gonna look for 1 for my 67 cuda.

I run errands with my Duster all the time. Usually I'm not away from it for more than 20 minutes, half an hour. Park far enough away no-one will park near me and always disconnect the battery which is in the trunk and disable the fuel pump with a switch. And like another poster said, it's a 4-speed and manual everything so good luck to any dumbass casual car thief kid.

It was built to be driven, so I do.

Steve

You can also remove the coil wire easily, or better yet pop the distributor cap, and remove the rotor, then snap the cap back on. Keep the rotor in your pocket. It aint going anywhere. A good hidden kill switch or 2 cleverly hidden in the car helps too.

I used to have one under the 4 speed shifter boot on my old charger. You just felt around on the rubber of the boot to trip the toggle. Have to position it so driving the car wont trip it off. The bonus is wrapping the wires with your reverse lamp harness for stealth.

Back in the day we would replace the hood latch with a trunk latch. In order to unlatch the hood you had to insert a screwdriver in the slot and turn. As simple as this sounded, no one ever got under my hood.

Genius!! I'm gonna try that!

Just remove the hood release lever. You get good at releasing it with your hand. Wire your fuel pump (if electric) to a ignition on hot wire. Run 4 speed with chevy truck shifter pattern ball. drive it drive it drive it.

my duster is an orange 72
my dream car is a 71 EL5 demon

sure ill drive it anywhere
wouldn't mind the excuse to swap on a demon front end and repaint it :)

besides, I sometimes feel we owe it to the public at large to drive these cars
were not the only ones smiling when we pass by you know

Drive mine all over, but have had some crappy things happen. Drove it to wal-mart parked way away from everyone came out an had a penny stuck to the front fender with some sort of glue.

Put gas in at Kum n go pulled up to the front went in an seen some old timer pull up next to my car. I was watching through the front window,when he got out I seen him look at my car an he swung his door open as hard as he could. An this was after he had gotten out of his car. So it was deliberate in my eyes. But his car was just far enough away, it didn't collide with my car.

I'm not so much worried about it being stole as some asshole dinging it or doing something
Shitty to it. But so far it hasn't stopped me from taking it out. I'm hoping to not encounter anymore haters. Good luck.

Drive mine all over, but have had some crappy things happen. Drove it to wal-mart parked way away from everyone came out an had a penny stuck to the front fender with some sort of glue.

Put gas in at Kum n go pulled up to the front went in an seen some old timer pull up next to my car. I was watching through the front window,when he got out I seen him look at my car an he swung his door open as hard as he could. An this was after he had gotten out of his car. So it was deliberate in my eyes. But his car was just far enough away, it didn't collide with my car.

I'm not so much worried about it being stole as some asshole dinging it or doing something
Shitty to it. But so far it hasn't stopped me from taking it out. I'm hoping to not encounter anymore haters. Good luck.

Going to Walmart.....that's your first problem......

I rigged up my 66 outside hood release so most can't get in or even find it, only 3 or 4 people now how and Memike is one of them lol....:glasses7:

You guys know that the '74 up cars came with an optional cable hood release right? I pulled one off a Duster at PickNPull.

You can also use one from an F-body. Just like a newer car, handle on the inside to release the hood...

PG Classic reproduction version...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PG-Classic-326-HR-Mopar-1970-78-A-body-Hood-Release-Cable-/321794073985?hash=item4aec6be581&vxp=mtr

Original

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-1972-73-74-A-Body-Hood-Release-Cable-Dart-Demon-Duster-Swinger-340-/111700238184?hash=item1a01da5f68&vxp=mtr

Original NOS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-1972-74-A-Body-Hood-Release-Cable-/221335869761?hash=item3388a55941&vxp=mtr

Buying a beat 69 Swinger with a 340 Gonna go thru the drive train and make it a little hotter than stock but may leave all the rust and patina on the outside and drive the piss out of it. One I won't have to worry about.

Buying a beat 69 Swinger with a 340 Gonna go thru the drive train and make it a little hotter than stock but may leave all the rust and patina on the outside and drive the piss out of it. One I won't have to worry about.

You are one kewl dude Pete :prayer:

No worries, all fun ....you worry....then sell it :happy1:

As I live in the land of Oz & there are, they say less a dozen H code Demon 340's in the country & the fact that I've only just bought mine makes me be paranoid about leaving it anywhere. In the past my philosophy as always been -
1. I don't drive them in the rain (too lazy to clean them afterwards), &
2. Never leave them where I can't see them.
In saying this, all my previous muscle cars were in pretty good nick so that was my choice.
Lastly, I live in a pretty small rural area which helps. Just sucks as there's no muscle car seen here.
Cheers,
Glenn.

Mine is a convert. I have a battery switch "hidden" and I keep it unlocked with nothing important in it. I'd rather let someone rummage through the car to no avail then have them cut my top to get in. I had a jeep that got ran through often but no one has ever really fooled with the Dart. I think most people see it and think it may be more protected. When its all said and done its a car I bought to enjoy, its insured and maybe that exact one can not be replaced, but that I guess is just part of it.

I own a 60 Corvette Fuelie car that I restored 30 yrs ago. Nice paint. It was deliberately keyed in a lot, where I parked away from others. Man I was pissed. Fast forward to today. I restored a concourse competing 68 Road Runner a couple a years ago. Did very well at shows and such. I was terrified, even to drive it, because the underside looked like the topside. I was afraid even a stone would chip the paint underneath. Guess What ?? I sold that car after I had only driven it about 2k miles. Learned my lesson. Now Im restoring 68 GTS for the wife and 70 Cuda for me. Don't get me wrong. They will both look very nice, but they will both be drivers that we can have fun with. I'll just put a few anti theft devices on them.

I own a 60 Corvette Fuelie car that I restored 30 yrs ago. Nice paint. It was deliberately keyed in a lot, where I parked away from others. Man I was pissed. Fast forward to today. I restored a concourse competing 68 Road Runner a couple a years ago. Did very well at shows and such. I was terrified, even to drive it, because the underside looked like the topside. I was afraid even a stone would chip the paint underneath. Guess What ?? I sold that car after I had only driven it about 2k miles. Learned my lesson. Now Im restoring 68 GTS for the wife and 70 Cuda for me. Don't get me wrong. They will both look very nice, but they will both be drivers that we can have fun with. I'll just put a few anti theft devices on them.

That sucks about the Corvette getting keyed.....

THAT'S exactly the kind of stuff I worry about.....

-
Back