Dodge A500 transmission hooked to a 408 sb?

-

schultec14

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering...I will have a 408 stroker and I want to know if a 1994 a500 I have access to will work. How can I beef this transmission up to hold up around 425 hp? What specific parts and pieces will i need to completely need to replace? I know I'm definitely going with a transgo shift kit for some tire chirping shifts. I already have a 2400 stall converter in mind for this build... I am serious about doing this and I would like to make it happen, because I'm trying to fit this setup in my 1970 Dart swinger. Is it possible to do? And will this hold up? Keep in mind i'm keeping this on the street 98% of the time and might take it to the track now and then..that doesn't mean I'll always take it easy either... Please advise!
Thank you,
-ANTHONY

SMR Transmissions would be a good place to contact as well.

Even though you may have a 500 now, don't be surprised if somebody tells you the best money would be spent trading it for a 518. At that power level the bigger trans would certainly be justified.

Hi, I was wondering...I will have a 408 stroker and I want to know if a 1994 a500 I have access to will work. How can I beef this transmission up to hold up around 425 hp? What specific parts and pieces will i need to completely need to replace? I know I'm definitely going with a transgo shift kit for some tire chirping shifts. I already have a 2400 stall converter in mind for this build... I am serious about doing this and I would like to make it happen, because I'm trying to fit this setup in my 1970 Dart swinger. Is it possible to do? And will this hold up? Keep in mind i'm keeping this on the street 98% of the time and might take it to the track now and then..that doesn't mean I'll always take it easy either... Please advise!
Thank you,
-ANTHONY

Please keep us informed with pics if possible as I also have a 70 Dart that I would like to put an A500 in but I am not interested in cutting the tunnel or floorboard to do it. I dont mind getting out a sledge hammer to do a few "adjustments". I do remember some posts on A518 install which did require major surgery but have not run across an A500 install. I'm sure there are many others who will be following your A500 thread if you choose to post it.

Floor/crossmember mods would be the same either way. The overdrive unit is the same, and located in the same place.

Isnt the a500 just a 904 with overdrive, and the a518 a 727 with overdrive? Alot of parts from the earlier trans fit into the later ones, so yeah, they can be built to handle some power.

an A500 hooks right to a small block, I'm running one on my 400HP daily driver Dakota, for the couple of banzi-blasts I've put it through since i got it running the trans has been perfectly fine, I think the overal demensions are close to a 904 too, but not too sure, never did a side by side comparason

Iam running a 418 in my Shelby dakota and the 500 tranny (i did have it built) is working fine. Ive ran it on the strip a few times and driven it on the street for 4 years. no problem.

-
Back