Dodge aspens?

-

Lomax

Reaction score
I dont really know where to put this thread so I'll put it here and see what happens.
Here's the deal: Me and my friend have the opportunity to get 2 dodge aspens. Were not really interested in the cars but one of them has a 4-speed in it and there are some suspension components that we need. after that, we'll have a whole lot of car left over that will just set there. Is there a demand for parts/restoration items that people may need? combined there too much gone to build up a car (plus were not overly interested) but there would be a whole lot go to waste. Could money on this deal be re-couped or made by parting out the rest?
-Will

I classify anything with four forward gears as a four speed. Overdrive or not. Those overdrives still carry the "A833" designation, which means four speed. Yes, parts on those cars are desireable. The lateral torsion bar suspension is not available anywhere. The brake parts also are a bolt on swap to A bodies needing only the correct 73-76 upper control arms matching lower ball joints to bolt on. They also had 8.250 rear axles most of the time. That might be all they came with. It is all I have ever seen in them. They are essentially a "late model" Duster if you will.

If you are going to part the 4spd car out I would be interested in the ball stud bracket on the frame for the Zbar.

The 4 sp overdrives are basically a 4sp with the linkage for 3rd and 4th gear turned around. So when you shift into 3rd you are really shifting into 4th and when you shift into 4th you are really going into 3rd but the gear ratios have been changed around from a normal 4 sp.
It is a super-wide ratio tranny. Sorta like skipping a gear everytime you shift.
And they aren't made for high performance engines.

3rd is 1 to 1

4th is a .73 overdrive

Almost like driving a 318/3speed manual but having an overdrive on top.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ipDataBook/1976/76-Dodge engineering_0014.jpg

If the deal works out then yes I will be parting them out. We are after some various parts on them but I cant say what I will or will not get rid of yet, we are going to try to get them moved this weekend and go from there.
-Will

It's true that they are not an HP piece like the standard A833, and certainly not like the A833 Hemi trans, but they'll hold a warm 318 or 360 just fine, especially if it is the factory cast iron piece. I think they only made that one year, in 1976.

The problem with the aluminum case was that the main and counter shafts are locked together in overdrive and the counter shaft spins with the main shaft. This loads the counter shaft and can gall the aluminum case where the counter shaft pin rides in the unbushed case. It is an easy fix, but requires complete disassembly of the trans and each end of the case to be bored out and bushings installed. Not very expensive to get done, but again, the trans has to be torn down completely to get there.

Also, if you want the thing to hold power above that of the standard A833, it can surely be done. Passon Performance carries all of the parts to make it just as strong and stronger than the A833 while still retaining the overdrive feature.

Those overdrives are pretty good transmissions, but they don't command a ton of money, because a lot of people don't like them. The going rate seems to be 200 and under, with the cast iron case in the higher end. But the aluminum case can be made very nice with a little dough and some work. I am sure as gas prices continue to climb, that pricing is likely to change.

Lomax......you mean as in Kirk Douglas' character in The War Wagon? That was a goodun.

Lomax......you mean as in Kirk Douglas' character in The War Wagon? That was a goodun.

Actually no, my name is William Long. The nickname Lomax comes from 2 drunk friends about 10-15 years ago.

I had 2 friends that went to college very drunk. In the class they were in the had to watch a video called "biff loman, the death of a salesman. I worked on the parts counter at Oreilly's back then as a sales clerk. They were so drunk that they thought the name of the movie was "Willie Lomax, the death of a salesman". I didnt mind the nickname as it wasnt as stupid as most everyone else's back then, and it stuck through all these years
-Will

-
Back