Dodge Dart Debuts in Detroit

-
I look at it like this...if it builds passion for Dodge, we win.
If it makes money for Dodge, we win.
If it is made here, we win.
If it makes Dodge more competitive by offering a fuel-efficient car, we win.
If it sips gas, more for us, price goes down, we win.
If we can make jokes about having to buy two because roller skates are sold in pairs, we win.
If we can make jokes about having to buy the stunt set separately from the matchbox cars, we win.

Look guys, I'm not keen on the fact that it's fiat based, and it's only a matter if time before we see a real Dart running around with these badges on it (I'm not keen on the badges, either), but this marks a MAJOR turn-around from the brink of death that Chrysler faced, and I'm not gonna ***** about that! This is the first really new product and it that is a hallmark of good corporate health. They are making something that's pretty sporty and it shows a lot of automotive passion (thanks Ralph Gilles).

Like the car or not, it's a good thing for Mother Mopar.

i agree with a lot of others that its the new neon! i dont like it and i wish they didnt use the beloved "DART" name on it. it shows zero resemblance to the DARTS of the past. if one comes to my local car cruises and parks next to my real DART i will move mine.... jmtc....

i agree with a lot of others that its the new neon! i dont like it and i wish they didnt use the beloved "DART" name on it. it shows zero resemblance to the DARTS of the past. if one comes to my local car cruises and parks next to my real DART i will move mine.... jmtc....

While I agree with alot of whats been said, I still cant understand why so many are hung up on the fact it doesnt look like the old Darts (and I imagine most of those are speaking of the 67 to 72 Darts).. I mean if everything was a retro look what would be the point? As for the name being 'beloved' .. I dont really think Darts were beloved then.. they were transportation.. with a couple performance versions in the mix... They are beloved now, because we make them that way.Heck I love my Dart, but I still say this is where the Dart would've wound up had it never went away... Look at it from the beginning.. look at a 62 Dart, before it was even a compact (A-body). look at it in the mid-70's .. now just imagine if it had never gone away.. compacts, and fuel economy, emissions restrictions, blah blah..it would've been the Neon and now this..

As for whether one would park next to mine at a show... well I have my own views on 'new' cars at a car show.. If I want to see new cars I will drive to the dealership... but if it happens I wont move.. heck, I will most likely see that view in my own driveway LOL .. just my .02

I look at it like this...if it builds passion for Dodge, we win.
If it makes money for Dodge, we win.
If it is made here, we win.
If it makes Dodge more competitive by offering a fuel-efficient car, we win.
If it sips gas, more for us, price goes down, we win.
If we can make jokes about having to buy two because roller skates are sold in pairs, we win.
If we can make jokes about having to buy the stunt set separately from the matchbox cars, we win.

Look guys, I'm not keen on the fact that it's fiat based, and it's only a matter if time before we see a real Dart running around with these badges on it (I'm not keen on the badges, either), but this marks a MAJOR turn-around from the brink of death that Chrysler faced, and I'm not gonna ***** about that! This is the first really new product and it that is a hallmark of good corporate health. They are making something that's pretty sporty and it shows a lot of automotive passion (thanks Ralph Gilles).

Like the car or not, it's a good thing for Mother Mopar.

I'd trade my neon in for that! Go Ma Mopar.

Not hung up on the looks or the fact it is nothing like the Darts of yore...just don't like the fact they are using a very good nameplate on what is a "Gen III" Neon. Hopefully it'll have better build quality/durability than the Neons (and yes, I owned an '98 ACR Neon. Got it in a trade, had 57K on the odo, did the headgasket and clutch right off the bat. Leaked oil everywhere when I got it, sh@t HG material but Cometic changed that)

guess they had to put it out in the public and see what people thinks,at least the name is still around,yea its ugly,but like anything takes time to grow on ya

Everyone speaks of the original Dart as if it was built like a fine swiss watch. Let's all be truthful. The original Dart had crappy build quality. Yes, they looked good, but QC was second to cost savings.

As for this being the next Neon or Caliber or whatever, maybe so.

I bought a brand new second year SOHC Neon 2 door for about $13k if memory serves me. I bought a Dynomax muffler, an open element (cone) air cleaner, and stuck a 50 shot of nitrous on it. I hammered it full of juice every weekend for years w/ no issues. 5.0 Liter Mustangs of all variety had a fit trying to keep up with it. It ran 14.90s at Houston Raceway park (tons of wheel hop included) until the trans exploded at 40,000 miles. They replaced it for free, no questions asked. The tech told me Chrysler wanted to see the trans in person and it was shipped off in a crate (my personal contribution to the SRT4 Neons). The car kept on going past 100k when I sold it. It used a quarter quart of oil every 3000k miles. Not too bad for a 13k kleenex car.

So, if they're going to build another Neon under a different name, that's a good thing. Some other young punk might be able to experience what I did... One hell of a good time!

Might as well be a Honda or a Hyundai.

All this trash looks alike.

No character. Nothing unique. Nothing exciting.

Same ol' same ol'.

If they wanted to, they could design a great looking car that smacks of vintage style, with some power, and a tasty set of seat covers, for a price the average Joe could afford.

We'd be better off doing a conservative resto-mod on a classic, and driving what we want......good performance, good mileage, state of the art tech, and head-crankin' looks and style.........for LESS than a new car that will just depreciate at a disgusting rate.

They should have just called it a Neon again... I'd be fine with that. Oh and the 6 speed manual, Yes Please!

I have never bought a new car or had one that would get 40 mpg.... I like the int, and I would give it a test drive to keep Mother Mopar alive, I know it's a small car... I don't see anything at all that looks like a dart, But we have one to pick from for $15.000

It could be worse or better, But I will be looking for a gas saver for my life style ..
And a 2.4 6 speed could be in my life one day.

Shitty......plain and simple

Ok, Steve, tell us how you really feel about it and stop beating around the bush.... :banghead:

Don't hold back now... :pirat:

What do you really think about it??? :protest:

I like it and hope it's a step to giving our younger generation JOBS!!!
Screw the foreign crap I say!!!:salute:

Sorry.... rebodied FIAT!:sad2:
F ix I t A gain T ony

-
Back