dodge dart engine swap questionsi have a 1966 dodge dart, 3-speed on the column with

-

gibson_es

Reaction score
i have a 1966 dodge dart, 3-speed on the column with a 170 slant six, when i purchased it, i planned to drive it to school and back, which is twice a week, and to church on sundays. and then to rebuild the engine in september when my financial aid comes in for the fall semester, however, i believe i have a blown head gasket as of today, i have not look at it good yet, as i have a test i have to study for. but out of nowere it wouldnt gain any speed, no matter the gear (well, it would, but very slowly) and when i stopped the car at the light, it shut off, wouldnt restart until i let it cool for 15 minutes or so, then i drove it just to the nearest store, shut it off, popped the hood, and i had some white smoke coming from the top of the valve cover where you put in the oil, and from the overflow hose at the top of the radiator, i check the oil and it was so thin it was just dripping of the dipstick, so im assuming there is water in the oil, as it had a recent oil change using 20w50 and a quart of lucas. so it should not have been that thin, unless thinned by water (yes i understand the two dont mix, technically)

long story short..... i would like to get an engine to put in the dart until i can rebuild the original in september. im on a tight budget, and found a couple 225's for sale one is from a 73 dart, is already pulled so i cant see/hear it run, the other is from a piece of equipment, the year is unknown but seems to be frmo the 70's, looks to be in great shape, and i can see it run as its still in the equipment.. when the time comes and i put the original back in, i will most liklely resell the 225, unless i truly fall in love with it....

question here is, with this engine go right in? or do i need another k-member and or other parts? will it bolt to my trans? i cant seem to find any 170's locally. and i need this all to happen pretty much as soon as i possibly can.

thanks for any help and input

No need to change the K Frame - same for 6 and V8 in the early A Bodies. On the 70's 225s - they will physically bolt in although you might have to swap oil pans and pick-ups. The crank register opening on the 68 and up motors were a lot larger so you'll need the adapter bushing to mate the later motor to the early trans. You'll probably need to do some mods on the exhaust headpipe - the 170 is a low deck whereas the 225 is taller. There may be other issues, but that's all I can think of right off hand.

You would have to swap the pan and other bolt-on accessories. Since you have a manual transmission, you'll just need a '92-up magnum engine crankshaft pilot bearing for your trans input shaft. I think I would find out what the existing engine needs before I replaced it. If it's just a head gasket, I'd repair it.

dosnt sound like a head gasket to me....if you had water in the oil it would look like chocolate milk, light brown in color. you would also probaly have a oil film in the radiator. sounds more like a carb problem. if the oil has thinned out, fuel dumping into the cylinders will make its way past the rings and into the crank case. smell the oil, see if it has any gas odor. check the oil level and see if it has gone up. also pull the plugs, again, smell them. if you have water in the cylinders the plugs will be white and dry, fuel will be black and wet.

Fuel pump diaphram leaking? Does it smell like gas? As stated water will look frothy when in oil as they dont mix. Drain the oil if its water it will come out first.

-
Back