Dodge daytona help needed.

-

tekslk

Reaction score
91 with a 3.0 has misson number one cyl <intermintant> Tried switching wires did comp check no fix yet, could a old coil do this or would that affect several cyls not just one. What about injector those are the only 2 things we didnt check. Just put new plugs wires cap and rotor and tried switching things around no help.

Thats the Mitsu.V6 and has one coil to fire all cyl.?I would probably suspect an injector over the coil as its intermittent.

Would appreciate fast answers while parts stores are still open, thanks.

The car set a while and has enough miles on it for that but wouldnt that miss all the time?

Remove the injector and look into the inlet of it, sometimes they will have dirt build up in front of the screen and that could cause your problem. Wash it out with carb spray if plugged. If you dont find anything blocking it then the only other test is too leave it attached to the fuel rail with the others and put a rag beneath them, they need to be suspended above the rag and you will need someone to crank the engine over and watch for an even conicle spray pattern, they all should match. Make SURE you disable the distributor first so there is no chance of a spark. Replacing it is the only option if the spray pattern is bad.

If I cycle the key 2-3 times it runs good, than it acts like its out of fuel but the miss is on number one cyl, after cycling the key it will run good for 30-45 seconds before it misfires again. We also changed fuel filter.

The 3.0L has a crab cap! The inner rotor terminals are rerouted in the cap and appear at different external plug wire terminals. Caps fail, and plug wires can easily be at wrong locations unless you follow manual.

The distributor uses a fine pitch optical encoder, dirt or age may lead to problems with it.

As already listed, the valve guides drop, and they can keep the valves from seating closed. Head gaskets often fail at about 70K miles.

There is also a way to cycle ignition key to read ECU fault codes, 5 - 5 is no codes. The MIL blinks followed by pause, then next number of blinks.

Also timing belts need regular maintenance.

Even with all these issues they were a great running engine, with a consistent 25 mpg in a minivan, with the ability to easily light up the tires.

No smoke out of the car but wouldnt a bad dizzy misfire all the time not just intermidant? I may pull injector out of number one today to see if there is any visable dirt? ANYONE ELSE GOT IDEAS.

I am wondering how you know the miss is on #1? If timing light blinks are not consistent, then it is ignition. Otherwise it is likely the injector. I seem to remember the injectors are hard to get to because the intake runners cover them. It may necessary to pull the manifold.

Compression at 150 Its number one because you can pull the wire off the dizzy while running and nothing changes. Im leading toward pcm since the tack and speedo are also intermittant. Any other ideas.

The 3.0L has a crab cap! The inner rotor terminals are rerouted in the cap and appear at different external plug wire terminals. Caps fail, and plug wires can easily be at wrong locations unless you follow manual.

The distributor uses a fine pitch optical encoder, dirt or age may lead to problems with it.

As already listed, the valve guides drop, and they can keep the valves from seating closed. Head gaskets often fail at about 70K miles.

There is also a way to cycle ignition key to read ECU fault codes, 5 - 5 is no codes. The MIL blinks followed by pause, then next number of blinks.

Also timing belts need regular maintenance.

Even with all these issues they were a great running engine, with a consistent 25 mpg in a minivan, with the ability to easily light up the tires.
i agree dist caps on 3.0 are crap.

Compression at 150 Its number one because you can pull the wire off the dizzy while running and nothing changes. Im leading toward pcm since the tack and speedo are also intermittant. Any other ideas.
i have seen a few 3.0 suck vacum from where the lower intake bolts to cylinder head and few that had a burn valve that had good cranking compresion tests

This wouldnt make the speedo and tack intermittant that why im leading toward pcm at this point.

what trans is in this car? 3 or 4 speed,also before replaceing pcm,yes that was common problem with these cars,but so was bad wireing connections

Well after 2 days of bs I got a new o2sensor installed it, cleaned computer wires , fixed vacume leak and car runs without a miss now. Thanks everyone for your sugestions.

-
Back