Dodge Demon Gage Cluster question 1971 vs 1972

-

Cubzy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm buying a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 H Code car. It has a cluster that looks like its from a 1972. Did they make only Rallye clusters 150MPH in 1971 or where they only for 340 cars? Did all 340 cars in 1971 get the Rallye cluster? What did clusters look like with vehicles built with Slant 6 engines or 318's. I'm a little mixed up as car has the 1972 grille and snorkel hood scoop. Looks maybe like VIN was put on a 1972 car or parts from 1971 put on 1971? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

My thoughts are be VERY suspicious of a rebody/vin swapping. Post some pics of the car, there are numerous differences

That's the standard 71/72 cluster. Rallye was an option in 71, but not 72

Okay with that being said did all H Code 71 340 Demons came with the Ralleye cluster or did some have the standard cluster also? Thanks.

that is a 72.

looks like the driver fender, air cleaner and instrument cluster are 71 pieces

It also lacks the 71 only vapor separator in the trunk

if you had a better pic of the passenger side inner fender .....that s different from 71 to 72

Okay with that being said did all H Code 71 340 Demons came with the Ralleye cluster or did some have the standard cluster also? Thanks.
All 71 H code cars had the rally dash. However in 72, they all had the standard cluster regardless whether H code or not

The standard cluster also differs from 71 to 72. That cluster is a 71 cluster and is incorrect for that vehicle. You can hear the buzzer which is a standard feature in 72 so it should have the light on the cluster that says "fasten seat belts" that was requisite for 72. This cluster is a 71 and was swapped in.

IIRC my '72 Demon , ordered new, did not have a seat belt light. So , I was surprised when I bought my second one '72) a couple years ago, it did have. Also my second one had cutouts in the trunk lid for mounting a spoiler which was not available in '72. IMOH I think Chrysler used anything left over at end of a years production for the next year if not substantially detracting from that years model.
Although I could be wrong.
Yote

All 71 H code cars had the rally dash. However in 72, they all had the standard cluster regardless whether H code or not

The standard cluster also differs from 71 to 72. That cluster is a 71 cluster and is incorrect for that vehicle. You can hear the buzzer which is a standard feature in 72 so it should have the light on the cluster that says "fasten seat belts" that was requisite for 72. This cluster is a 71 and was swapped in.

With all that being said do you still think car is a good buy. 3 year old paint. Really straight. Needs small cosmetic stuff to complete. 340 motor. Unsure whether its matching as the body is a little mix match. Any concerns?

Make sure it's a 340 motor - check the casting numbers on the side it will give a string of numbers ending with 340 dash some other number or 318/360/273 dash some other number.

With all that being said do you still think car is a good buy. 3 year old paint. Really straight. Needs small cosmetic stuff to complete. 340 motor. Unsure whether its matching as the body is a little mix match. Any concerns?

yes there is concern, its a rebody and a poor one at that because no way that is a 71. It is a 72 with a 71 vin number and a few 71 parts. I would walk away and let it become a faded memory.

That first 4 digits check out OK...the 5th looks like an H which would be a 340.....6th digit in VIN on dash looks like a 1 to me which would be a 1971 not 1972...This would throw up a red flag for me! Everything on the car as far as grill, fenders, scoop, etc. is 1972......It has the original rosette rivets in the VIN tag but they could have put the whole dash in the car from a 1971...Also, you can buy those rivets, However I wouldn't expect them to get as nice of a squash on them as the factory did....they look pretty good......So if the VIN on the dash plate matches the title I would say you have a 1972 Demon that was re-VIN ed to a 1971.....ILLEGAL!

Last edited:
Seats are 1972, without the médaillons in the front. Rear bumper has jack slots. so it's a 1972.

What's the difference between 71/72 buckets? Looks like medallions were lost when seat was re-opolstered. Also does the 71 not have the slots in the rear bumper for jack? Great observation.

That is a throw together car, it's definitely a 72, so the vin numbers have been swapped, IMO it would be foolish for ANYONE to buy that car, at ANY price. Run run run run

Now for the million dollar question. What is the car worth in US dollars the way it sits with the mismatch of parts. What are the risks to purchasing. If VIN search comes up clean(not stolen or salvage vehicle), I think it should still be okay. The pure enthusiest most likely won't be a buyer. Why would somebody re-vin or rebody? Thanks.

Now for the million dollar question. What is the car worth in US dollars the way it sits with the mismatch of parts. What are the risks to purchasing. If VIN search comes up clean(not stolen or salvage vehicle), I think it should still be okay. The pure enthusiest most likely won't be a buyer. Why would somebody re-vin or rebody? Thanks.
The original car was probably a rust bucket or not economical to repair, so some body probably took some 71 peices, and a 71 VIN (a felony by the way) and attached it to a 72 body. How do you know the 72 body isn't stolen? Then VIN has been removed, although it is located in other spots on the body.

You go insure this thing, and get in a accident, perhaps not your fault, and as a "valuable" classic car, I can assure you the insurance company will investigate, and classic insurance companies are pretty knowledgeable on these cars, you will be screwed....

Check the other vin numbers. My '72 has one on the radiator support ( drivers side) and is supposed to have one at the rear on the metal of rear package tray ( under rear window on metal where rear radio speakers could be) not exactly sure where. Or possibly in channel of trunk edge of driver side ??? FABO MEMBERs help me out here !!!! My recollection is not real good here.
Yote

Check the other vin numbers. My '72 has one on the radiator support ( drivers side) and is supposed to have one at the rear on the metal of rear package tray ( under rear window on metal where rear radio speakers could be) not exactly sure where. Or possibly in channel of trunk edge of driver side ??? FABO MEMBERs help me out here !!!! My recollection is not real good here.
Yote
yes, he is correct...I would check the other 2 VIN locations to see if they match the VIN plate on the dash.....I bet they don't...which can get you in trouble and get the car confiscated......one is on the radiator support and the other one is on the trunk rail edge lip underneath......and if they don't match the plate I wouldn't buy it for anything except for parts.....

The original car was probably a rust bucket or not economical to repair, so some body probably took some 71 peices, and a 71 VIN (a felony by the way) and attached it to a 72 body. How do you know the 72 body isn't stolen? Then VIN has been removed, although it is located in other spots on the body.
Yes, he is correct...If those other two hidden VIN numbers come back as stolen, guess what???

Thank You all for the info and guidance. Certainly positive I avoided buying a hot Demon! The car didn't even have a door VIN number it was missing. I've learned a lot the past day about differences between the 2 years. Great forum.

-
Back