Dodge Omni Anyone?

-

gilgalad1138

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an Omni so I can park the Dart for the winter. Anyone here have any experiences with them? So far the only ones I've seen available near me are the non turbo GLH, are they worth buying, or should I wait for a turbo GLH to become available? What are the spots to look out for on these cars, as far as wear and rust are concerned?

Thanks, I'm kind of lost here.

Well it depends,
I have had a Shelby Daytona, a Shelby Charger both with the 2.2 and manual trans. and a Plymouth Laser non-turbo. I loved all of them. The Turbo Daytona was a nasty little ride but timing belts and head gaskets were an issue. The best one was the Charger. No turbo but had a Holley 4 barrel and it run sweet until an Illegal Alien ran a red light and put the passenger door beside my right shoulder. Man was I pissed, he had NO friggin insurance. Happens every day here in Texas. No issues with rust but I live in Texas. My friends GLH Omni was a quick econo-box. He had a few upgrades and I seen it turm 13.9 at HRP in Baytown many years ago. I like all the 2.2 cars fun little cars. I now have a 2dr 98 Neon Highline with the 2.0 SOHC and a 5 speed. Impressive little car and nearly 30 mpg and drives on rails. I intend to install an SRT 2.4 Turbo in it eventually once I can find a salvage car that hasn't been burned.

Back in 87 I was delivering pizzas and one of the other delivery guys drove a beige Omni GLH. It was clean but Ugly as hell. It went like stink though - 20 minutes or less! Also I think he got the fewest speeding tickets no one thought that boring little box could break the limit.
Another guy there had a Duster and my buddy drove his 73 Challenger a couple of times. I was driving a brand new strippo Ford Ranger back then.

Only experience I've had is a guy I worked with bought an Omni 4 door brand new somewhere around 1980. It was in the dealership for servicing & when they pulled the pan off of the trans they found a wrench laying in it. Left in there from the factory. The only reason the guy found out about it was because his brother was the janitor at the dealership & told him about it. The Dealership never mentioned it to him. LOL

Ive had my 86 GLH Turbo since 2004 and its been my daily driver ever since.The 2.2 has been rebuilt to stock and its all stock except for +20 injectors,Mopar Performance Logic Module,manual boost adjusting valve.Its been a very reliable car and there are tons you can do to them.I can get atleast 12 psi of boost,not too bad for being stock,and its great on gas also and has also put to shame many a Honda,even a couple of Mustangs and Camaros here and there(would you tell your friends your Mustang got beat by a Omni?):cheers:
HPIM1523.jpg

How DARE you , you racist. LMAOROTF.

glad you weren't hurt....

Well it depends,
I have had a Shelby Daytona, a Shelby Charger both with the 2.2 and manual trans. and a Plymouth Laser non-turbo. I loved all of them. The Turbo Daytona was a nasty little ride but timing belts and head gaskets were an issue. The best one was the Charger. No turbo but had a Holley 4 barrel and it run sweet until an Illegal Alien ran a red light and put the passenger door beside my right shoulder. Man was I pissed, he had NO friggin insurance. Happens every day here in Texas. No issues with rust but I live in Texas. My friends GLH Omni was a quick econo-box. He had a few upgrades and I seen it turm 13.9 at HRP in Baytown many years ago. I like all the 2.2 cars fun little cars. I now have a 2dr 98 Neon Highline with the 2.0 SOHC and a 5 speed. Impressive little car and nearly 30 mpg and drives on rails. I intend to install an SRT 2.4 Turbo in it eventually once I can find a salvage car that hasn't been burned.

A 2.2 5-speed L-body is a fun car even without a turbo. Put some decent struts, wheels and tires on it and it'll handle great! Look for rot in the frame rails where the firewall meets the floor.

Back in the day, I had more than my share of fun with mine and embarrassed plenty of brand-x owners at the same time.

img0060kw.jpg

How DARE you , you racist. LMAOROTF.

glad you weren't hurt....

:bootysha: I live with it every day! Not racist just FED up! I have many Hispanic friends here, but enough is enough. Osama Obama was asked by our Gov. Rick Perry for help along our border and was refused. I lost my job in August cause my yearly salary was undercut considerably and I didn't speak Spanish! BUT this is a Totally different story. Not to rob this fellow members thread, Sorry!

O', I was hurt. My right shoulder was dislocated and my feeling were hurt.

Peace! DO IT LEGAL!

My Mom and step father were reared by an ilegal down here in Florida.Last year. My step father died the mexican took off back to Mexico.He had no insurance. By the way I had a GLH Omni back in the early 90's was a great little car. Fast too. Loved it!

Avoid the 1.7 VW based motors. The heads would crack.
The 2.2's weren't any better on head cracks. I guess I've worked on too many of them. You couldn't give me one now.....well,....maybe if you gave me one! Then I'd haul it over the scales @ $200 a ton. The turbo ones were a blast to drive until they got about 50K on them. Then you couldn't keep them together. Chronic head gasket/cracks, broken drive axles, 5 speed oil starvation, twitchy torque steer, etc. To keep the turbos alive, you HAD to use Mobil One synthetic oil or you could kiss the bearings goodbye. There are much better cars out there.......

My folks have had 3 used Omni/Horizons. One had over 200,000 miles when they got rid of it, starter was out so Dad just parked on a hill and would coast start it. I raced a 86 Shelby Charger (originally a 2.2 turbo, I put a high output carburated 2.2 out of another 86 charger in it) on a 5/16 dirt circle track, I won 5 features, sold it to a 15 year old kid, and he won 5 features at a 1/2 dirt circle track.
The 2.2s have possibilities, you can take .030 off the deck of the block and make a high output(raises compression to around 10/1. Mopar Performance even had parts for them back in the day, cams, stroker cranks, blower kits, etc. A lot of these parts are hard to find now. The omni/horizons are fairly easy to work on, just pick up a haynes book and a Mopar Performance 2.2 engines book.
I currently am working on a 88 Omni with a 2.2 with a stock crank, 2.5 pistons, custom pistons, ported and polished head, and an aftermarket cam, ported exhaust manifold, weber 38 carb, bypassed computer and an aluminum flywheel.
Having said all this just remember they are 80's economy cars in other words no frills.

I love the little Mopars myself and I have a white 92 Iroc Daytona for a daily driver V6 5spd that is just awsome in the snow.I also have a 93 Daytona iroc R/T (1 of 17 white 93's)with the T3 engine.My favorite of all my Mopars,It freakin flies.And as one of the past responces said it seems to stay under the radar(police and not really looked at by many)They do take some up keep though(blew up the ceramic clutch disc in the R/T a couple of weeks ago)Do some research before commiting is the best advice I can give you.
Doug

Attachments

• 000_1244.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 174
I love the little Mopars myself and I have a white 92 Iroc Daytona for a daily driver V6 5spd that is just awsome in the snow.I also have a 93 Daytona iroc R/T (1 of 17 white 93's)with the T3 engine.My favorite of all my Mopars,It freakin flies.And as one of the past responces said it seems to stay under the radar(police and not really looked at by many)They do take some up keep though(blew up the ceramic clutch disc in the R/T a couple of weeks ago)Do some research before commiting is the best advice I can give you.
Doug

I like your stash Doug.

I don't have a T3......all I know is they are a great looking engine and
they will book on down the road. Imagine a T3 in an Omni.:-D

I like your stash Doug.

I don't have a T3......all I know is they are a great looking engine and
they will book on down the road. Imagine a T3 in an Omni.:-D
Thank you Tony
The R/T has been down for about 2 weeks and I feel like an addict without there fix8)
An Omni with a T3 would be awsome,but would be an $$$$ conversion,might be cheaper to use an srt Neon drivetrain?
Heres a shot of my yard last summer,me and a couple of friends own 4 T3 cars and there is a spare engine in storage.I am always on the lookout for parts,parts cars and such.

Attachments

• 000_1486.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 000_1501.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 152
I've been waiting for a thread like this.

Back in the late 80's my friend's parents traded in their wagon for a used Omni. When I first saw it I thought it looked completely ridiculous. It was white with black sticker stripes all over the side, all different widths and lengths.
On the rear pillars it had orange lights.
It had the regular Omni wheels, no ground effects, it had a red interior and it was a standard.
It was not a GLH or GLHS.

Crude pic below, basically just to show where the orange lights were.

My friend took me for a ride and I couldn't believe it. This thing hauled a$$.

It was turbocharged, and if I remember correctly it had "Turbo" somewhere on the side, but it was very small.

This thing was totally factory, and they had no idea what it was when they bought it, and neither did the dealership- they thought it was a regular Omni.

His older brother totaled it. I've been looking for another one since to buy.

What was it?

Attachments

• omni_22847321.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 139
I had a 1987 red shadow turbo 5spd w/ a K&N filter & MP computer it was quick & handled great went 125k until i wreaked it great car & lots of fun

good little cars. Have some rust issues on the frame rails (but so do the A bodies).
Biggest aggravation will be when the reverse shifter bushing breaks. Easy to fix, but a PIA in the meantime. The 2.2 has a distinct wrist pin knock, nothing to get upset about, but it does happen.
My boy is currently driving one and has for the past 4 years. He hates it because I can keep it on the road and not replace it.

I put new shifter bushings from Booger racing in mine and they seem to be holding up pretty good,well worth the $20.

The little Chargers are fun too, I like the looks of them better but I think the Omni is lighter and quicker in stock form if you get the GLH... The GLHs are great sleepers!

In 1982 I worked in make ready at a dodge dealer and I use to race the guys from the ford dealer red light to read light spankin the 5.0's

-
Back