dodge Ram oil filter

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Just did an oil change on my 97 5.9 dodge ram a few days ago. Today was in town and the oil pressure gauge was bouncing. Its leaking oil around the filter. I pulled the filter and there was some kind of plate or adapter or something behind the filter that was loose what is this? I did tighten it I could spin it by hand then put the filter back on and tightened it. Is this a common issue or and i looking for another problem? Sorry to post here but I know alot of you drive rams and the truck forums arent very populated.

there is a plate that bolts on to the block...you can tighten it up with just an 3/8 drive extension on a ratchet...

the square end of the 3/4 ratchet goes into the threaded nut....

I did tighten it up but it took a 1" socket to do. I didnt torque it as I didnt know what it was called but I gave it a good snug then another 1/4-1/2 turn

as long as you got it tight....lol

as i have always said..if she is tight she is right...LOL

Well It was tight but it wasnt right. Still dripping i have to say what a cobbled way to to that! Why not do like the rest do and have it seat against the block. Gaskets ordered. Got any idea on a torque spec?

I wouldn't hog on it too hard, Josh. Isn't that a hollow fitting you're tightening up? If it was me, I would take it slam apart, clean it good with brake cleaner in the block where it screws in, let it dry good and put a drop or two of red locktite on it.

Problem solved thanks for the help fellas. I believe she is leak free. Just needed to snug that plate up a bit more.

-
Back