Dodge Ram problem

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I know its not an "A" body, but I need you help.
I have a 04 Dodge Quadcab with the Hemi and only 66,000 miles. The other day on the highway it just started coasting on me, like it was not getting fuel. When I applied the gas it would buck and jerk and then coast again. A red light came on the dash that kink of looked like a thunderbolt. I limped it into a gas station and disconnected my battery for about 10 minutes. After I hooked it back up it seemed to do fine. I finished my drive (about 60 miles) and had no further problems.

This is the second time this has happened to me. The last time was about 4 months ago. :angry7:

Any ideas? I really need to fix this before it strands me.

Check the fuel filter, then plugs. I'm guessing that there is some milage on it?

Go to a local auto parts store like Autozone and they will usually pull codes for free. Post up the codes if thier are any. I'm thinking the battery posts/cables need a good cleaning with baking soda and water, then grease them with white lithium. Even if they look clean, they can build up a transparent layer of insulating corrosion.

to access the trouble codes, all you have to do is turn the ignition switch into the run position & back off 3-times, leaving it in the run position the third time. the codes will appear in the milage indicator, all starting with a P. it will display the word "DONE" when it is thru. you can go to the web to access these codes at a place called ALLPAR. not sure about the symbol that is displaying on your truck, but it would seem to be electrical. how old is the battery, & how are all the electrical connections? it sounds like a loss of voltage.

the thunderbolt warning light is for a problem with the electronic throttle control (drive by wire no throttle cable used). possible problem with the throttle body or accelerator pedal position sensors, by unhooking the battery you probably lost any codes that were stored in the engine's computer. if the light comes on again try coasting to side of road and shut key off for 10 sec. restart, if drives normal then access fault codes, may have to take to dodge dealer ( we need the work!)

I had the same problem with mine a few years ago 03 1500 Hemi 174,000 miles on it now, i cleaned the throttle body out and helped some but i think that dodge put out a bulletin on the computer program needed to be up dated. had that done and have not had anymore problems, until a few months ago the wife was driving the little man to school and the truck just cut off on her.
i got it runnung but she was sick coughing and you had to feed her gas or she would just cut off. drove to the dodge dealer and told them to tell me what is wrong. got a call the next day and it was a broken valve spring they said that happens a lot on the 03 and 04 hemis but was not to bad they just pumped up the cylinder with air and installed a new spring cost me $ 205.00

Thanks for the help and info fellas. I have the next 3 days off to investigate, wish me luck.

-
Back