Dodge rampage and Plymouth scamp

-

dartnabout

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went to pick up some parts from a guy and in his yard was a 1983 Plymouth Scamp pickup. Do you remember them? 2.2 automatic and a near perfect body. I always liked the Dodge rampage and this is the Plymouth version. My question is this. I was looking at transmission rebuild kits and torque converters at Rock Auto. Not that it needs it but I wanted to see availability of parts. They list a rebuild kit for the Rampage but not the Scamp. The torque converters are different numbers. Does anyone know if they are the same or was there a difference. I thought they would be the same

I thought that they were the same also.

Same body, just different name tags....

They're the same vehicle, just order parts for a Rampage, because a lot of stuff isn't listed for the Scamp.

I know this first hand, I own a 1983 Plymouth Scamp GT (AWD Conversion). They only made about 2,300 Regular Scamps, and 1,200 Scamp GT's. One Year Only.

1983 was a halfway year too. Early 1983's require one type of fender, Late 1983's use a different fender.

This is a cute little truck. It has a blown head gasket. He said he would sell it for $350. It also has a cap on it. I need another project like a hole in my head but it is in great shape. Great parts chaser.

Wow 74Dusted, you are practically my next door neighbor.

I would not pass it up, if you can get it for $350.

Like I said, only 2300 regular Scamps were ever made. Now add 31 years to that number. Probably 300 of them are left in existence. And I'm being generous with that number, knowing how many of them in this area alone were hauled in for scrap.

A few years ago I passed up a regular Scamp (2.2 4-Speed) for $100 that needed some lower quarter repairs. Well I didn't really pass it up, I couldn't get there fast enough with my Rollback. By the time I arrived, it was already hauled to the junkyard and crushed.

What area of Central PA are you in Dartnabout?

I have a Huntingdon address but live just above Allensville up on the ridge.

I saw it as soon as I pulled in but It was about dark by the time I had the nerve to ask about it. I have known this guy for many years so he told me he has $350 in it but just doesn't have the time to put in a head gasket. And I could have it for that. He told me to come back and he will stick a battery in it and start it up. I couldn't believe there was no rust behind the wheels and with the cap on he said the bed was nearly perfect.

It is an automatic but you say the rampage parts are the same huh?

we got one used it as a parts chaser for many years

4-05-05001-1.jpg

the uni-body started splitting right behind the cab/bed
so we put a full frame in it

031s.jpg

006s.jpg

and added four extra cylinders (440)

015s-1.jpg

took the 2 fours off
went with a cowl hood

034s.jpg

7-05-07019.jpg

still have the original eng/trans axle if some one needs it

I was just out your way not too long ago to tow a furd exploder for a family member.

Yeah, Rampage parts are the same, everything is the same except for the Nose Piece/Bumper.

It's kinda like ordering parts for a 1971 Plymouth Duster or a 1971 Dodge Demon, it's all the same stuff, except for the Nose and Tail. And in this case, the Scamp and Rampage...Scampage...both use the same tail lights, same rear bumper, same tailgate, same interior, same drivetrain, same sheet metal, same wiring, everything.

My Scamp has E-Brake cables for an 84 Rampage (was the only thing available anymore, ironically enough, same exact parts as the 83 Scamp)

Turbo I and II swaps are easy too, if you ever wanted to boost it. You just pull the Wiring Harness from a newer fuel injected Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon, Fuel Tank & Pump from the Omni/Horizon, and the engine and ECM from an Omni/Horizon/Caravan/Lebaron/etc.

-
Back