Dodge To Be Dropped

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Just Read A Story That Stated That Fiat Will Be Dropping The Dodge Brand From The Chrysler Line Up By 2012. Now We Know Why They Split The Dodge Cars & Trucks From Each Other. Chrysler Has Been A Sitting Duck Since 1998. The People From Other Countries Do Not Understand Our American Culture.

I don't know why they ever sold out to daimler benz. All they did was destroy a company that was on its way up to the top.

The Dodge brand is likely to be dropped from the Chrysler Group’s European line-up as part of partner Fiat’s new plans for the company, to be announced in mid-November.
Dodge was launched in Europe in 2006 but has failed to match Chrysler’s ambitions for it. Just under 4000 Dodges were sold in the UK in 2008.
At the same time, the Chrysler brand is to be moved upmarket. In its heyday in the US it was considered a more prestigious marque than Chevrolet and Ford.
Chrysler also plans to use the RAM nameplate as a brand for its commercial vehicles. This will allow the company to separate them from the Dodge line-up, whose performance credentials it plans to further develop.
As part of this strategy, Dodge will develop new models in concert with Alfa Romeo, despite the American brand’s planned withdrawal from Europe.

From autocar.co.uk

The two articles taken together would seem to me to move the Dodge nameplate under Chrysler and put the emphasis for Dodge's performance into Alfa. Fiat in previous articles has already said they wish to keep the Challenger around as the base for the new Alfa coming down the pike. So, will it be a Chrysler Challenger at that point or with Dodge dumping cars like the Calibur, Avenger, etc?

This is fiat's way of getting back into the US market.
Anybody recall why they stopped importing these cars a while back?

At the time for the introduction of the Viper here in Europe back in -93 if I´m not mistaken, it was namned Chrysler Viper.

MOPOWER.
They quit importing them for 1 reason............................

They were under-engineered, under-powered and over-priced pieces of antique junk!!
You could park them in your driveway and watch them rust.

MOPOWER.
They quit importing them for 1 reason............................

They were under-engineered, under-powered and over-priced pieces of antique junk!!

I remember working on them. YUCK.

This is from wikipedia.
In 1979, the company became a holding company when it spun off its various businesses into autonomous companies, one of them being Fiat Auto. That same year, sales reached an all-time high in the United States, corresponding to the Iranian Oil Crisis. However, when gas prices fell again after 1981, Americans began purchasing sport utility vehicles, minivans, and pickup trucks in larger numbers (marking a departure from their past preference for large cars). Also, Japanese automakers had been taking an ever-larger share of the car market, increasing at more than half a percent a year. Consequently, in 1984, Fiat and Lancia withdrew from the United States market. In 1989, it did the same in the Australian market, although it remained in New Zealand. In 1986, Fiat acquired Alfa Romeo from the Italian government. Also, in 1986 15% of Fiat company stock was owned by Libya, an investment dating back to the mid-seventies. U.S. foreign policy under President Reagan's administration canceled a Pentagon contract to produce earth-movers with Fiat and pressured the company into brokering a buyout of the Libyan investment. In 1992, two top corporate officials in the Fiat Group were arrested for political corruption.[19] A year later, Fiat acquired Maserati. In 1995 Alfa Romeo exited the U.S. market. Maserati re-entered the U.S. market under Fiat in 2002. Since then, Maserati sales there have been increasing briskly.

So, will it be a Chrysler Challenger at that point.....?

No haven't you heard? It will be a Fiat Alfa Challero Spyder R/T! :cheers:

Instead of 372 hp and 25 mpg it will have 25 hp and 372 mpg.

Go FIAT!!!!

I read the article on Allpar.com too and I don't think they're gonna drop the Dodge brand entirely. That would make no sense, as the vast majority of Chrysler Corp. cars sold today are under the Dodge name. I actually have a decent feeling about this whole Fiat thing... If they really are going to use the Challenger as a base for one of their cars, imagine how advanced the next generations of LX/LY/whatever are going to be. Oh, and I'm just waiting for one thing... VCT 6.4L HEMI Ooohhh yeah!

I read the article on Allpar.com too and I don't think they're gonna drop the Dodge brand entirely. That would make no sense, as the vast majority of Chrysler Corp. cars sold today are under the Dodge name. I actually have a decent feeling about this whole Fiat thing... If they really are going to use the Challenger as a base for one of their cars, imagine how advanced the next generations of LX/LY/whatever are going to be. Oh, and I'm just waiting for one thing... VCT 6.4L HEMI Ooohhh yeah!

I have a hard time believing that a Euro company is going to base one of their new cars on a 4000 lb American beast!

It's our own fault, as i drive down my street and see all the toyotas in driveways, with america flags flying on there porches, i think what a bunch of tradedors. We did it to ourselves, My ram truck has over 258,000 nothing but tuneups and oilchanges. A peice of **** yota can't do that, I have wrote big on my back window SAVE AMERICA JUNK A toyota Think about all the all american cars you see on the road never see a yota older than 2000 or so know why? Because there junk and don't last thats why atleast you can find parts cause the junkyards are full of em. Funny i never see any 94 up rams in the junkyards there still on the road 10 yotas are one dodge you choose

It's our own fault, as i drive down my street and see all the toyotas in driveways, with america flags flying on there porches, i think what a bunch of tradedors. We did it to ourselves, My ram truck has over 258,000 nothing but tuneups and oilchanges. A peice of **** yota can't do that, I have wrote big on my back window SAVE AMERICA JUNK A toyota Think about all the all american cars you see on the road never see a yota older than 2000 or so know why? Because there junk and don't last thats why atleast you can find parts cause the junkyards are full of em. Funny i never see any 94 up rams in the junkyards there still on the road 10 yotas are one dodge you choose

Actually they do last pretty damn well. I know of a 250,000+ mile 1988 Land Cruiser and a 275,000-mile Avalon from the '90s. Where I live I also see just as many POS new Chevy Malibus and mediocre Charger SE V6's as Hondas, Toyotas, and especially Subarus. There are at least five WRX/STi's in my small town and probably a hundred times that Imprezas, Outbacks, and Foresters.

Now new Toyota or Honda full-size pickups, yes they are junk compared to domestic ones.

Up here in Canada it seems like the old japanese cars rust away before the engines give up. Either that or people just give up on them and they end up in the junkyards.

The real problem is our own consumer based society. It doesn't matter who makes the cars. Nothing is built to last anymore. If it were then the companies making all this crap wouldn't make as much money. They want to build cars that only last a short while so then you have to buy another one!!

How can you "love" a car like that?? These new cars have no soul!!

I read somewhere once that in the future there won't be classic cars anymore. A car built today is full of electronic chips and plastic parts that are too expensive to make on a small scale. If you buy a car today in 30 years there won't be ANY parts and there won't be anyone making them period! Everything is disposable and not meant to last.

In my experience the only car company that still supports its old products is Volvo. I had a 1971 P1800 and I could go to the local dealer and get any part I wanted albeit it was very expensive. On the other hand I've called the local Chrysler dealer and they don't even keep information on any car older than 20 years!

In my opinion everything started going to **** in the mid to late 70's. If Dodge goes down I'm going to have a hard time supporting Fiat/Chrysler anytime in the near future.

It is only the Dodge brand in Europe, not here. I believe Dodge is too big here.
I have never owned or will own a jap car, I lost an uncle on the Arizona that my family won't ever let me forget. I am sad that our own companys have moved over seas and now share in thier "Non-existant quality control" on the stuff they shove down our throuts. Serves us right buying thier crap, we had a chance 30 years ago to buy only american and now its too late

I have a hard time believing that a Euro company is going to base one of their new cars on a 4000 lb American beast!

Well, the LX has proven to be a damn good full-size platform and I'm sure if it was developed and optimized more it would make a great foundation for a full-size high-performance sports sedan. Something to compete with the likes of the BMW M6 (3909 lbs.) or Audi S6 (4486 lbs.), or perhaps as a new Maserati Quattroporte. Also don't forget that nowadays ALL cars are fat and weigh more than comparably-sized cars from 40 years ago.

Can i ask where you heard this, I work at a dealership and just got back from chrysler headquarters tonight, we were talking about that very thing and the big chief's said nothing about it!! they said ''Rumor's'' only.If the Dodge brand is to be gone so does the Dodge Truck line just don't see that happening, Dodge truck was just voted truck of the year.

Don't knock 'em till you try 'em? My parents bought a 2005 Toyota Tundra last year and have nothing but good things to say about it. My Mom has been driving a 2007 Carolla for 2 years and has put on 60,000 miles without hesitation. Sure it's not as exciting as a big block Dodge, but it's not what they are built for. Reliability has been Toyota's strong suit as of late, and American's as a whole have figured that out.

-
Back