Dodge vs Plymouth A Bodys.

-

Ahoey

Reaction score
I am almost certain that a Plymouth A body ie scamp, Duster is longer than a dodge ie dart or demon can anyone answer this? And are there other measurements that are different between the two cars

Plymouths are Valiants, 108 wheelbase Dodges are Darts, 111 inch wheelbase. Demons, Dusters, and Dart Sports are 108 wheelbase, that is the difference...

Plymouths are Valiants, 108 wheelbase Dodges are Darts, 111 inch wheelbase. Demons, Dusters, and Dart Sports are 108 wheelbase, that is the difference...
Thanx my pal has a 72 scamp that he races when we kids we found out the drive shaft was not interchangeable taking mine to the strip for a spare. Went home that day on the trailer
20B128A9-4136-4DDA-A2AD-3A58D0D5EC0C.jpeg

67-69 barracuda, 71-72 demon, 70-76 duster, 73-76 dart sport are 108"
67-76 Valiant, scamp, dart are 111"

Theres floor pan extensions in the rear footwells in front on the rear seat. This and the rockers is where the added length is in the lower chassis.

67-69 barracuda, 71-72 demon, 70-76 duster, 73-76 dart sport are 108"

Theres floor pan extensions in the rear footwells in front on the rear seat. This and the rockers is where the added length is in the lower chassis.
Are all other physical dimensions the same or are there other differences in the running gear

Pretty much. The area in front of the rear seat is where the length was added to the chassis. So other than driveshaft, brakeline, parking brake cable, and fuel line length differences, everything else is the same, and interchanges

I used a 74 dart 4 door floor pan in my 67 barracuda. Had to move trans tunnel seatbelt anchors to where the 67 barracuda has them, and trim floor at the back end to fit, but it fit and looks like it belongs there.

I used a 74 dart 4 door floor pan in my 67 barracuda. Had to move trans tunnel seatbelt anchors to where the 67 barracuda has them, and trim floor at the back end to fit, but it fit and looks like it belongs there.
That’s cool thanks again for the answers

You're probably right since you have like 19,000 more posts than I do but 67-69 Valiants are 108" and they carried on through the Duster/Demon platform in '70. THe Duster was originally badged "Valiant" on the fender. I think the Valiants were on that platform until like '74. Maybe the 4 doors were 111"?

There was no Valiant hardtop, there was in name but the body was a Dart with a Valiant front end.

If you look at the side of a Valiant you will see the lower body line dips (goes down) just in front of the rear wheel. The Dart the body line stays flat with a slight bump up over the rear wheel.

If you look at the Duster it has the same Valiant body line, the Demon does as well, both are on the same body, different front ends.

Again about 73 the Valiant 4-door was a Dart body with a Valiant front end.

You want to know the wheelbase, look at the lower body line, dip down 108, bump up 111.

Alan

Likewise if you look at the rear window, the Dart dished in, the Valiant was flat (more or less). The Scamp dished, the 73+ Valiant were dished, both Dart bodies.

Alan

Irony is the 108 wheelbase cars are more comfortable to me than the 111 cars in the headroom.
In theory they should be the same, now a Barracuda fastback might be a little different than a Barracuda coupe, how do those compare to a Dart/Scamp?

Then there is the Duster/Demon

Unless we start factoring in Sedans, that should be it, those are the only four hard tops.

Alan

There was no Valiant hardtop, there was in name but the body was a Dart with a Valiant front end.

If you look at the side of a Valiant you will see the lower body line dips (goes down) just in front of the rear wheel. The Dart the body line stays flat with a slight bump up over the rear wheel.

If you look at the Duster it has the same Valiant body line, the Demon does as well, both are on the same body, different front ends.

Again about 73 the Valiant 4-door was a Dart body with a Valiant front end.

You want to know the wheelbase, look at the lower body line, dip down 108, bump up 111.

Alan

So the Demon was really a Plymouth and the +73 Valiant was really a Dodge.
That body line dip is a good way to tell. Forgot about that tell.

You're probably right since you have like 19,000 more posts than I do but 67-69 Valiants are 108" and they carried on through the Duster/Demon platform in '70. THe Duster was originally badged "Valiant" on the fender. I think the Valiants were on that platform until like '74. Maybe the 4 doors were 111"?

I drilled apart a 71 scamp 2 door hardtop, it was 111" same as a 71 dart

Valiants were 108” until 1974, Scamps (which started in ‘71) were 111”. The hardtop cars were 111”. In ‘74 the Valiants went to the 111” platform too.

Plymouth Valiant - Wikipedia

Last edited:
-
Back