Does (1963) 225 engine have crank shaft pulley/Harmonic Balancer Bolt?

-

Narek H

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my engine and my mechanic says the Bolt for the harmonic balancer/Crankshaft pulley is missing. I did a google search and another forum is saying there is no such bolt. I am not a very technical person. Can someone please explain which is correct and if yes where can I buy one for him? or the specs of the bolt Thanks.

1963 Valiant signet 200 225 slant six stock engine.

The crank is drilled and tapped for a bolt, but none were actually used on those engines.
If he feels compelled to use a bolt/washer, one from a BB will work

The crank is drilled and tapped for a bolt, but none were actually used on those engines.
If he feels compelled to use a bolt/washer, one from a BB will work
Great. Can you please elaborate what you mean " One from BB would work" sorry for my uneducated questions...

No bolt is required. None was originally present. The crank pulley (vibration damper) is an interference (press) fit on the crank snout. It cannot and will not come off on its own, even without a bolt.

If it will make your mechanic feel better, you can add a bolt. ¾"–16 × 2½" with appropriate washer.

The threads are there simply to use the installer to press the pulley on, then you're done w/them. And an appropriate washer would be an OE from a V-8, or the equivalent of
grade 8 or better in that size. But millions of slanty's with billions of miles on them have never let go of one damper hub I know of.

-
Back