Does anyone have a printable oil pan baffle template?

-
I don't know that one exists but you can go off this picture, they're pretty straightforward...

0667_phrs_15_z+mopar_318_engine+.jpg

I can get you something tomorrow, I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I will send you an email in the morning.

Yep, Dion is the man. Again. We need to shout this mod from the rooftops!

:burnout:

This help?

These cover most of the process. IIRC, Clair Davis or Matt Grubel did this and took the pictures.

:burnout:

Attachments

• LA_Oil_Pan_Baffle-01.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,221
  • n_a1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,097
  • n_aCAKLLX8K7.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,067
  • n_aCAJ9R0JN6.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • n_a8.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,050
  • n_aCAFT9UF55.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • n_aCA6WZMH64.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,080
  • n_a2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,108
  • n_aCA7CUWNJ.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,122
The first picture, the full scale template, is Clair's. Don't know if the rest are Clair's but based on the cardboard template being the same I would bet they are.

Oh, and the article is from Mopar Action Dec 2002. Dung it out and read it last night. :)

Hadn't seen the pictures before, only the template. Thanks!

FYI for anyone else reading this, from reading some of the past discussions about this on a yahoo group last night, if sounds like it is benificial to fit the baffle to the pan closely and seal the edges. I was going to leave gaps between my pan and the edge of the baffle, figuring it would help with oil drain back and the thick oil wouldn't slosh too bad, but it sounds like the best bet is to seal it all around and slope the baffle towards the center. So, I'm going to spend some more time getting my baffle tighter to the corrners before I cut it out.

Here is one I just finished.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 887
That's real nice Bakerlite. No surprises there. But Lemmie ask.......why not just run a windage tray? Will that not do the same thing?

The stock oil pan isn't very deep; when launching with slicks the oil runs toward the back of the pan and can uncover the pickup

Won't the baffle keep the oil lower in the pan vs just keeping it off the crank? Less slosh.

Reason I ask is because you usually see the big block guys say run either the baffle or a windage tray. I've only really had a couple or three cars where I might have been concerned with oil slosh due to hard acceleration, so I'm no expert.

The stock oil pan isn't very deep; when launching with slicks the oil runs toward the back of the pan and can uncover the pickup

Now that, I can understand. Even the great job Bakerlite did on his though, the oil will still come out between the baffle and pan since it's not totally welded. Oil is a liquid. I just cannot see where......unless a pan is deeper than stock like you bring up, a baffle will really help keep much oil in place. Because if a car leaves hard enough to uncover the pickup, that oil is GONNA move and ain't nuthin holdin it back.

Thanks guys , yeah I could have welded it all the way but this is basically a stock engine and it was more of an exercise in seeing how well I could make the baffle as well as making a template for future modified sumps. Those un-welded edges are quite close to the sump so I'm sure it will seal good enough to prevent most of the oil heading towards the rear main when taking off from a set of traffic lights in this 4 speed car. Usually I just weld an anti surge plate along the back edge and front edge of the sump to stop oil slosh under acceleration and braking.

Well, you did a damn good job on it.

Actually those seams are supposed to be sealed for it to work right I used the grey oil-resistant RTV... won't see how it holds up until next time I have to drop the pan though.

Rusty I think it's an either-or deal on the big blocks because the deep skirts on those blocks put the pan at the bottom of the crank and the windage tray on those is literally a flat tray which covers most of the top of the pan and acts like a big baffle.

Actually those seams are supposed to be sealed for it to work right I used the grey oil-resistant RTV... won't see how it holds up until next time I have to drop the pan though". I disagree with this. Notice in the picture of the stock baffle that there are openings at the end of the baffle. Homemade baffle in the first pic also has these. This is to help oil return to the sump.

Actually those seams are supposed to be sealed for it to work right I used the grey oil-resistant RTV... won't see how it holds up until next time I have to drop the pan though". I disagree with this. Notice in the picture of the stock baffle that there are openings at the end of the baffle. Homemade baffle in the first pic also has these. This is to help oil return to the sump.

Yeah guess you're right but mine had a pretty big space on the back compared to the ones in this thread if i hadn't sealed it the oil would've just slipped past

Bakerlite did a nice job. Cool idea, for a stock style pan. Wish I had done it,on the Magnum.

Just my 2 cents, but I think I'd rather have some miniscule gap around the baffle, like was shown, than have some RTV smeared in the gap, just HOPING it doesn't come free and get sucked up into the oil system passages. Regardless, I applaud your effort.

Just my 2 cents, but I think I'd rather have some miniscule gap around the baffle, like was shown, than have some RTV smeared in the gap, just HOPING it doesn't come free and get sucked up into the oil system passages. Regardless, I applaud your effort.

Funny thing you brought back this thread I still have that same pan with the same baffle and same smeared gray RTV on the back seam... I was honestly expecting the RTV to start coming loose at some point but it's stuck on there just as well as the day I put it on back in 2011 or whatever. I wouldn't do it again but it's stuck on there so tight it would be a chore to remove lol

BTW I had that pan on a 360 that I put about 25k miles on so it was submerged in oil for a long time...

Funny thing you brought back this thread I still have that same pan with the same baffle and same smeared gray RTV on the back seam... I was honestly expecting the RTV to start coming loose at some point but it's stuck on there just as well as the day I put it on back in 2011 or whatever. I wouldn't do it again but it's stuck on there so tight it would be a chore to remove lol

BTW I had that pan on a 360 that I put about 25k miles on so it was submerged in oil for a long time...
hahaha, I didn't notice the date. I didn't think I brought it back, maybe I clicked into an old link, and didn't recognize it.

hahaha, I didn't notice the date. I didn't think I brought it back, maybe I clicked into an old link, and didn't recognize it.

I tend to do that when I search, I find an old thread with the info I need and after reading through it a while I make a post like it's a current thread haha

At least it shows that Permatex Ultra Gray holds up to oil well

I tend to do that when I search, I find an old thread with the info I need and after reading through it a while I make a post like it's a current thread haha

I did the same thing when I first posted here and got beat up on it LOL

-
Back