Does anyone recognize these washers?

-
You’ll figure out where they go right after the garbage man takes them away!!!
Keep them, every time I toss something, I need it the next week. They came off something. I also thought upper control arms, but I don't think they are thick enough.

I was an alignment man for a few years.
What I ran into is that, on Mopes, when I installed NEW MOOG cambolts into the upper Control arms, did the alignment, tightened them up, and was ready to send it, here's what happened;
When I backed off the machine and applied the brakes, I heard a bang. Well that's not normal I said. So I pulled back on for an inspection.
What I found was that the UCA's both sides, had slipped.
The Bolts were tight.
Of course the alignment was a do-over.
What I found was that yes the nuts were tight, but that was because they were bottomed on the threads. This put just enough squeeze to keep it all together until the brakes gave it a tug in the opposite direction.
The solution was to install a thick washer under each nut.
I doubled up and put two per cambolt, one under the nut and the other under the head and that solved it. In six years I never had a warranty issue.
The washers I chose were not as big as yours, and mine were hardened. They looked more like the ones that are installed on shank lugnuts, but Not chromed, Nor quite as thick. It's been a few decades since those days so I can't recall how thick they were, but will guess about 3/32=.094inch..
My washers were small enough that they did not need to be clipped.
Had I used washers as large as yours, they would likely have needed to be clipped, to get the arm over to where it usually needed to go.

Last edited:
-
Back