Does anyone recognize this master cylinder?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I'm finishing the rebuilt brake system on my 65 Valiant. I've changed everything except the front brass block and the rear axle tee. I'm using silicone brake fluid specified from where I bought my new brake lines from. I first tried a remanufactured master cylinder from Cardone. I could never get the fitting to the master cylinder line and the extra outlet plug to totally seal. So I returned it and tried a 100% new one from Dorman and it did the same thing. So I tried wrapping the threads with teflon. Well I got the fitting to master cylinder to quit leaking but the plug on the bottom outlet absolutely will not quit leaking. It's very slow leak so it builds pressure and you check it and think you're ok but when I let it sit overnight and wipe my finger across the bottom of the plug it's covered with fluid. It doesn't matter how tight I tighten it, I'm about to get to the point where I may crack the casting or damage something else if I keep tightening it. This is a photo of the master cylinder I took off my 65 Valiant. And I've looked all over and can't find one with just the one outlet hole. There is a casting number on the bottom 278182 and some other illegible characters. On the top against the backing it has 307ndx. Does anyone recognize what year this one would be and where I could find it? Or does anyone restore them?

Attachments

• mastercylinder.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 148
I got the line set from Summit which they ordered from The Right Stuff Detailing so I'm guessing it's close to original as possible. I didn't pay attention to the flaring. But it's not even leaking at the line to fitting. It's leaking at the fitting to the master cylinder body. If you look up a master cylinder manual drum brakes for a 1965 Valiant or Barracuda on any parts website you'll see the master cylinders that have the one fitting like my original in the photo and then on the bottom there is a plug where there is another outlet. That is the one that is leaking on this new Dorman master cylinder part number m43207. But even on the Cardone remanufactured one both fitting were leaking and I could not get them to stop. Can't have the slightest leak on this braking system. Here is the one I got. [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-M43207-Brake-Master-Cylinder-/351010076079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b9d4b5af&vxp=mtr#ht_1391wt_1026"]Brake Master Cylinder Dorman M43207 | eBay[/ame]

-
Back