Does anyone think it is the radiator besides me?

-
Wellllll, sounds like to me, just what your radiator guy already said and what others have said here.

The dang radiator is getting clogged by crud, scale, rust, debris percolating out of the engine.

When I was a kid, I had this happen plenty of times on my old Olds engines cause they were used or just rusty inside which were probably run with water some time in their life.

I would spend all day flushing and soaking a radiator in muratic acid only to have it clog up in a few days or weeks again.

So, I put in a screen!

I used a new screen over the upper radiator fluid inlet every few weeks the entire time I had the car. I would cone it into the rad if I was feeling motivated so it would have more filtering surface area and catch more crap. It always had plenty of crap on it.

There was a company called ganofilter or something that had a nice clear inline radiator hose filter. It looks like their website is down.

Here is another screen and pot type that looks promising from a Texas company:

http://www.tefba.com/

Seriously, the diesel truck guys are using something similar to a screw on fuel filter in a limited bypass arrangement to super clean their coolant because of debris from casting sand and other crap.

If you want to get fancy, you could also install a bypass filter in your heater hose so that the fine muck is filtered out. But the screen will trap any radiator blocking particles so you can remove them periodically.

I had the same problem. The rad was clean and flowed good. The problem wasn't the water flow it was the air. At some time the rad was in a car that either blew a head gasket or froze. The coolant tubes were expanded and the rad did not flow air through it. This is a cooling problem that many rad shops overlook. Good luck and hope you solve it. Vacuum leaks or bad compression rings (cracked top rings from cyl. ridge) also could cause your problem. Do a vacuum and compression test.

A 195 ? the car calls for a 180 t-stat. I was going to get a replacement 180 thinking / hoping this one is defective or such......

If your radiator flows (fluid flow) good when it leaves the rad shop and comes back to the shop in a week or a month, clogged up and flowing poorly, then the motor is emitting particulates that are clogging the radiator. That's is it.

The very first thing to do, is put in an inline coolant filter to prevent clogging the radiator. Have the radiator cleaned out good.

Then see if the car stabilizes its behavior.

Secondly, get a better performing radiator that is new and has more capacity. Leave the inline filter on the system to prevent clogging the new radiator.

Attachments

• gano_clear.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 85
Well I have just changed the thermostat and I put the gareden hose inside the thermostat housing and did a "flush" of the head. I left the bottom hose on until the radiator filled then I took off the bottom hose and flushed out all I could. Tomorrow I will fill up with fresh antifreeze and see what I have going on. Hopefully it will have cleared.

-
Back