Does Primer need to be filtered

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I know paint needs to be filtered. But when preparing primer does it also need to be filtered though a screen?

you dont want debris in your paint or clear so you shouldnt want it in your primer either. after all, if a chunk of dirt in your primer gets on the car....and you then spray paint and clear over top of that....you will still see it.

like was said,strain everything. I always mix my paint up into a clean mix cup,then from there strain into my gun. My gun also has a built in paint filter at the bottom of the cup. I also put an inline filter on my air feed to the gun to keep out any junk that may enter my paint. also a good idea to drain your compressor prior to painting to avoid any moisture in your paint.

not sure if you know any of that or not but its worth mentioning anyhow.

you dont want debris in your paint or clear so you shouldnt want it in your primer either. after all, if a chunk of dirt in your primer gets on the car....and you then spray paint and clear over top of that....you will still see it.

like was said,strain everything. I always mix my paint up into a clean mix cup,then from there strain into my gun. My gun also has a built in paint filter at the bottom of the cup. I also put an inline filter on my air feed to the gun to keep out any junk that may enter my paint. also a good idea to drain your compressor prior to painting to avoid any moisture in your paint.

not sure if you know any of that or not but its worth mentioning anyhow.
X2 :thumblef:

If you decide not to strain it, it could plug up the gun pretty easily.
Strainers aren't that expensive......

If you decide not to strain it, it could plug up the gun pretty easily.
Strainers aren't that expensive......

This would be my biggest concern. something in he primer itself would probably get sanded out but you dont want it clogging the gun.

Strain everything!

Absolutely this! Those strainers don't cost jack squat up front but can save you hours or hundreds of dollars in the end.

Clog a gun on primer and it's extra sanding. What you just spent on the extra abrasives cost way more than that strainer.

Clog a gun on your sealer, causing an uneven pattern and a run... Now you are wiping off and redoing some of your sealer. This cost way more than that strainer.

And it only gets worse from here.

Paint supply companies will give you strainers for free, while clogging a gun is a concern burying a chunk of **** under your primer would be the biggest concern.... strain it.

-
Back