Does that look odd?

-

A56

MoPar Affliction
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm making plans to check out this 340 motor and noticed in the pictures an odd shape around the casting date year. Does that appear to be some type of repair to anyone?
1701209616504.png

Last edited:
Could be piled up slag, sand or even piled up paint. I would try lightly tapping in it with a hammer and sharp chisel. It may just pop off.

lmao, I'm thinking some sort of metal paste repair, but could be slag. Hope he doesn't ask me what the hammer and chisels for. :rofl:

man, that looks sus AF

4spdRT noted the appearance of what seems to be a hairline crack, and if you look closely it seems to be from a chip and then extending toward the right. so that was either painted over, or that's previous paint poking out-- which could indicate a "rebuild" that got painted without getting properly tanked and cleaned. the headgaskets are painted, so my assumption is that somebody pulled the motor and did a top end in the old rattle bomb rebuild style. which is fine if the rest of the motor is in good health.

or it could be some slag, or some rust that got painted over.

like RRR said, i'd be poking at that before parting with some cash.

I just finished speaking with him and he readily agreed to let me do what I needed to do whether it's scrape, scratch or tear down the motor.

Looks like someone didn't do a very good job cleaning/prepping the block before painting it. But I'm really stupid also.

Looks like i see a header in that pic. Is it installed in a car and running. I wouldn't worry about those goobers at the date. Just scrape a little paint off that ''crack looking area'' and see what you find. That's a weird spot for a crack, it's probably fine imo.

That said, cudos for checking it out with that amount of detail. :thumbsup:

Looks like i see a header in that pic. Is it installed in a car and running. I wouldn't worry about those goobers at the date. Just scrape a little paint off that ''crack looking area'' and see what you find. That's a weird spot for a crack, it's probably fine imo.

That said, cudos for checking it out with that amount of detail. :thumbsup:
No, it's been removed and sitting on the floor.

-
Back