Does this look correct

-
Do you have access to one of these?

View attachment 1714683098

I use one to set up my drum brake clearances because it is quick and simple. I can do it with the drum off the car.

What is that called and how does it work? Wonder if I can rent one.

alright saw another problem with the way the rear brakes are set up ,the adjuster wheels are wrong or in backward. when the cable pulls up on the arm and pushes the wheel around the adjuster assemble gets longer to pick up shoe wear. the wheel should be mounted on the same side as the cable so it wont walk off the leaver when it gets longer (look at the pics)#18 hope this helps

I don't believe so. It was my understanding that the adjuster goes on the Secondary shoe lining, which is how I have it set up.

Look again,, the long screw comes outta that long barrel,, stub end stays with the shoe..

Do I have it correct?

Thanks again for all the help!

What is that called and how does it work? Wonder if I can rent one.

I don't believe so. It was my understanding that the adjuster goes on the Secondary shoe lining, which is how I have it set up.

Do I have it correct?

Thanks again for all the help!

I have this one and prefer it because of the points for the drum. The newer ones I have seen are more generic and don't set up as well. This is one of those tools that you don't need but it sure makes life easier if you have one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251408645135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

As it expands is the threads on the opposite side of where the lever attaches to the brake shoe? If it is you have it right.

I've done many brake jobs in my time, 45years worth ,looking at the other side is useless .how many times I worked with mechanics with 10 plus years of experience who couldn't get it wright. the adjuster wheel has to be on the same side the leaver . just spin the adjuster up and watch it come off the leaver. then it will back off and so will your brakes (its almost off the leaver now) now are you comparing your soft pedal to a new vehicle with disc brakes all around? all manual drum/ disc have a little play my 73 duster also, does the pedal become hard after 2/3 pumps when you hold it down. then its a adjustment issue somewhere.to determine front or rear put a vise grip on rear rubber brake hose if pedal is hard the problem is in rear, if still soft go back to the front brakes check for loose wheel bearings, caliber travel too much. also if you go back to #18 and look close you will see adjuster wheel is on leaver side .good luck hope this helps some.

Picture in #18 is a total different adjuster set up. It appears that he has replaced the OEM adjuster with an aftermarket one. I see what you are saying because it looks like the weld is on the right side of the gear on post #32.

I've done many brake jobs in my time, 45years worth ,looking at the other side is useless .how many times I worked with mechanics with 10 plus years of experience who couldn't get it wright. the adjuster wheel has to be on the same side the leaver . just spin the adjuster up and watch it come off the leaver. then it will back off and so will your brakes (its almost off the leaver now)
. . . hmmmm

The 1 inch+ long threads come outta the barrel,, they're not gonna fit in the stub end,, on either style of adjuster...

Attachments

• Brake adjuster 012.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 108
I've done many brake jobs in my time, 45years worth ,looking at the other side is useless .how many times I worked with mechanics with 10 plus years of experience who couldn't get it wright. the adjuster wheel has to be on the same side the leaver . just spin the adjuster up and watch it come off the leaver. then it will back off and so will your brakes (its almost off the leaver now) now are you comparing your soft pedal to a new vehicle with disc brakes all around? all manual drum/ disc have a little play my 73 duster also, does the pedal become hard after 2/3 pumps when you hold it down. then its a adjustment issue somewhere.to determine front or rear put a vise grip on rear rubber brake hose if pedal is hard the problem is in rear, if still soft go back to the front brakes check for loose wheel bearings, caliber travel too much. also if you go back to #18 and look close you will see adjuster wheel is on leaver side .good luck hope this helps some.

The adjuster that I got came in an all-in-one brake rebuild kit. with the drum off I can spin the adjuster and hear it click, but cannot rotate it bacwards without moving the lever out of the way.
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm sure I have the adjuster correct. The pic in #18 is from the factory service manual.

No, not comparing to new cars, I know how the pedal should feel on the older cars. In addition to the feel you have to stand on for it to come to a stop (I've only driven it my driveway because of this)

No Pedal feel is the same

Picture in #18 is a total different adjuster set up. It appears that he has replaced the OEM adjuster with an aftermarket one. I see what you are saying because it looks like the weld is on the right side of the gear on post #32.

Post #32 was not made by me and is not my brake set up.

It's all good,, you got it right..

Oh Ok. I was getting confused by all the replies without quotes. lol. At work now, but my plan is to adjust up the rear brakes tight in the morning. I will report back my findings.

Thanks for sticking through it!

went into garage and looked at a complete rear a friend gave me to switch gears in. and the adjuster was in it like I said the wheel and lever on same side. the adjusters are left and right switch them around

Attachments

• GetAttachment#1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 130
went into garage and looked at a complete rear a friend gave me to switch gears in. and the adjuster was in it like I said the wheel and lever on same side. the adjusters are left and right switch them around

I don't want to start a fight about who is right, simply because I am the one who is having these troubles, but I can assure you that the star wheel adjusters are on the correct sides. Refer to my first picture.

I know they are marked L and R, because I made the mistake of grabbing the wrong one at first, and its clear that when put on wrong, the lever doesn't contact the star wheel correctly because the teeth don't engage the lever.

I can promise you if I adjust the star wheel (tightening), it will not move the other way without pushing the lever out of the way.

I have seen problems with the lever not hitting the wheel right because the 9/10/11 inch brakes use different length cables ,and sometimes the round eye end is not mounted correctly . all the parts in the kits are the same except the cable Its very easy to get the wrong cables.

UPDATE:

Taking some excellent advice from Inertia and 67dart273 I got the brakes working great.

Here is the things that remedied the problem:

Since I only had gravity bled the brakes, I had a friend come over and re-bled the brakes the old fashion way. (1 person on the pedal, 1 on the bleeders) To my surprise there was a little bit of air still in the rear wheels.

Before bleeding the brakes I had adjusted the rear brakes up tight (as if parking brake was on) after bleeding was done, I backed off the adjuster just enough to where I could turn the wheel.

I torqued the wheel and took it for a test drive, car stops great, and pedal feels good.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

-
Back