273 Conversion w/ 10.5:1 pistons
Mild cam
3-Speed OD A833 ('75)
7 1/4" rear end
Eddy 600 cfm manual choke
920 heads
stock exhaust manifolds
2 3/4" single exhaust w/ resonator

I will be tuning the ports on both sides. Application is for street and freeway. I don't expect RPM's to go much higher than 5K. I have access to an Eddy LD340 intake, but it has been suggested I find an Eddy SP2P. Claims are snappier performance, better mileage, and better torque.

Question: Should I keep looking for an SP2P or run with the LD? Are there other manufacturers that match the SP2P? Recommendations for cam (I don't speak cam yet)?

Thanks for your expertise. GR

Depends what heads you have on your 273.early '64-'65 heads had different bolt size and angle. Early heads take the EddyD4B...later heads will use the Eddy LD4B. LD340 has larger ports and will cause a mismatch. The SP2P is also a good manifold for stock applications.

No. I wouldn't use a 273 to "convert" anything.

If it was original, maybe. But the smallest I would use for a V8 conversion would be at least a teen.

'64 Dart GT
273 Conversion w/ 10.5:1 pistons
Mild cam
3-Speed OD A833 ('75)
7 1/4" rear end
Eddy 600 cfm manual choke
920 heads
stock exhaust manifolds
2 3/4" single exhaust w/ resonator

I will be tuning the ports on both sides. Application is for street and freeway. I don't expect RPM's to go much higher than 5K. I have access to an Eddy LD340 intake, but it has been suggested I find an Eddy SP2P. Claims are snappier performance, better mileage, and better torque.

Question: Should I keep looking for an SP2P or run with the LD? Are there other manufacturers that match the SP2P? Recommendations for cam (I don't speak cam yet)?

Thanks for your expertise. GR

920 heads should be 66 heads and able to use the newer style intake manifolds. The intake bolts should be 3/8-16 and uses a 9/16 socket to turn. Skip the SP2P, a 273 wants to wind up quick and high. I'd run an LD340 intake but any small port intake will work well. The E-4 Isky makes plenty of torque, for the wheels you can fit inside a 64 A body wheel well. Any similar solid cam will work, There was a 273 cam thread that had a lot of good info. The only problem I see with your combo is gear ratio. With the A833 O/D you can easily run 3.91s. Your 75 O/D should have a .73 final drive. 3.91 x .73 = 2.85, 2.76 x .73 = 2.01. You get the idea.

I have a correction to make: The intake I have available is a D4B and, according to 65Val, won't work. According to whitepunkonnitro, the SP2P 318 is first choice and the Eddy Performer 318 second choice. Goals, at this point, are snappier performance, better mileage, and better torque, and I will be choosing a cam to further those goals. Additionally, I'm going to run with the hydraulic valve train I currently have (budgetary reasons).

I'll change out the rearend and do a disc brake conversion at a later date (when I sell something). Thanks, 66fs, for pointing out the gear ratio issue. I hadn't taken that into account (gotta love this forum!). I'm curious to see how the long-legged setup (2.76) runs with the higher compression and smaller, torquier intake. I also have to remember I live in the boonies and will spend 80% of my driving at freeway speeds, not bracket racing. I just want everything matched up properly.

Thanks, guys. GR

The D4b will work, but will need to be modified to fit your heads. There's a market for that intake, stock, so I would sell the D4B and use that money to buy a Performer or SP2P ( my choice personally)

I have a correction to make: The intake I have available is a D4B and, according to 65Val, won't work. According to whitepunkonnitro, the SP2P 318 is first choice and the Eddy Performer 318 second choice. Goals, at this point, are snappier performance, better mileage, and better torque, and I will be choosing a cam to further those goals. Additionally, I'm going to run with the hydraulic valve train I currently have (budgetary reasons).

I'll change out the rearend and do a disc brake conversion at a later date (when I sell something). Thanks, 66fs, for pointing out the gear ratio issue. I hadn't taken that into account (gotta love this forum!). I'm curious to see how the long-legged setup (2.76) runs with the higher compression and smaller, torquier intake. I also have to remember I live in the boonies and will spend 80% of my driving at freeway speeds, not bracket racing. I just want everything matched up properly.

Thanks, guys. GR

65Val is correct. Then I'd definitely sell the D4B, I think someone is looking for one in the wanted section.

I'd go Performer and be able to run any carb you come across. TQ, Q-jet, Carter, Edelbrock, Holley. LOL, in that order for me. The 273 will surprise you, even with 2.76 gears, and you will like the mpg.

Thanks for the input, guys. I went ahead and helped rumblefish360 clean out one of his garage shelves and took his SP2P off his hands. The Eddy carb will show up next week unless UPS coughs up a hairball over the Christmas season.

The D4B is on the shelf of a good friend. I haven't bought it yet so buying it just to turn it wouldn't be right. His manifold so it should be his profit.

On to the next parts adventure and educational experience into the world of cam-ness. GR.

-
Back