Does this sound like a torque converter issue? More?

-

dartnlo

Has Dart Fever
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1972 Dart 318 904, 110,000 miles.

Last year my radiator trans cooler developed a leak and I got coolant in my trans fluid. I put an external cooler to bypass the stock cooler, drained the fluid, changed the filter and new fluid. It seemed fine for about 3000 miles. This week I drove the Dart to work and it was fine in the morning but when I went home that night, as soon as it warmed up, it didn't want to move at the next light in any gear. The engine would rev high like it was slipping, eventually I could feather the gas and it would creep forward a bit. I pushed it off the street and checked the fluid which was fine, got back in and it was normal again till the next stop. I found out if I just shut the engine off for about 30 seconds it would engage again. I limped home the last 6 blocks this way.

Today I checked the fluid again and smelled it, it didn't smell or look burnt. I tested it warm again and did the same thing with a little shuddering and a couple of thumping noises to boot.

Does this sound like a torque converter only issue? I'm thinking that while I have the transmission out I should just go ahead and rebuild it. This is a street cruiser only, stock 318, the only performance upgrade I plan is dual exhaust with better manifolds.

Advice?

Slipping kills an automatic. The moisture may have caused rust that clogged the filter. But antifreeze attacks the glue of the fiber material on the bands and clutches. The fiber usually comes off in huge sections tho, so I doubt that's what caused the filter to clog. Shutting the engine off and it re-engaging is a sign of a clogged filter.

Slipping kills an automatic. The moisture may have caused rust that clogged the filter. But antifreeze attacks the glue of the fiber material on the bands and clutches. The fiber usually comes off in huge sections tho, so I doubt that's what caused the filter to clog. Shutting the engine off and it re-engaging is a sign of a clogged filter.
The filter is what I was thinking as well. Getting ready to drop the pan to inspect the carnage.

The first time I changed the filter it was debris free but it probably hadn't had time to disintegrate yet.

Yep, filter was plugged with black fibre debris.
20190803_163047.jpg

That's some strange looking stuff. But all those circles sucked in shows it was 'straining' to take in enough fluid.

Yup. Needs rebuild. Clutches are in the filter.

i didn't see much.
There was about 1/8" of non-pink fluid in the bottom of the pan. It was thick and kind of brownish gray. I poured it in a paint strainer and it wouldn't go through. I poured mineral spirits in it and stirred it up and this was left. The bottom of the filter was covered in it.

The biggest pieces I saw were only about 3/4" inch long and about the size of mechanical pencil lead. Mostly fine black particles.

1972 Dart 318 904, 110,000 miles.

Last year my radiator trans cooler developed a leak and I got coolant in my trans fluid. I put an external cooler to bypass the stock cooler, drained the fluid, changed the filter and new fluid. It seemed fine for about 3000 miles. This week I drove the Dart to work and it was fine in the morning but when I went home that night, as soon as it warmed up, it didn't want to move at the next light in any gear. The engine would rev high like it was slipping, eventually I could feather the gas and it would creep forward a bit. I pushed it off the street and checked the fluid which was fine, got back in and it was normal again till the next stop. I found out if I just shut the engine off for about 30 seconds it would engage again. I limped home the last 6 blocks this way.

Today I checked the fluid again and smelled it, it didn't smell or look burnt. I tested it warm again and did the same thing with a little shuddering and a couple of thumping noises to boot.

Does this sound like a torque converter only issue? I'm thinking that while I have the transmission out I should just go ahead and rebuild it. This is a street cruiser only, stock 318, the only performance upgrade I plan is dual exhaust with better manifolds.

Advice?
I agree with cudafacthackjob. Antifreeze in the trans fluid attacks the glue that bonds the friction materials on the clutches.

I changed the filter and filled it back up and it's good to go again. I know I have a rebuild in my future but this will keep it running until winter and/or I have a shop to work in after I move. I'm currently working on rebuilding the front suspension and steering. Once I get her back on all fours I'll probably put another 500 miles on her and change the fluid and filter again so it doesn't get to the point of straining to pull fluid past the filter.

-
Back