Does wax prevent water spots?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Just painted one of my Mopars. I always have wondered if water spots are prevented from forming on the finish if it is protected by wax? Anyone know the answer? Thank you.

wax just allows the water to runoff, but some points will still hold water droplets. Best to still wipe it down.

wax just allows the water to runoff, but some points will still hold water droplets. Best to still wipe it down.

I wonder if liquid jet dry we use in our dishwasher will prevent water spots if it is added to the bucket when washing. It works on dishes? Why would it not work on a car finish????

I wonder if liquid jet dry we use in our dishwasher will prevent water spots if it is added to the bucket when washing. It works on dishes? Why would it not work on a car finish????

Normally any type of dish liquid soap will remove the wax off a car finish.

Depends on the wax. If your car was just painted do not put wax on it right a ways. Plus depending on how fresh the paint is the water droplets will leave marks on the paint.

Depends on the wax. If your car was just painted do not put wax on it right a ways. Plus depending on how fresh the paint is the water droplets will leave marks on the paint.

I have a self service carwash that I take my Black van through. It has several cycles including soap, rinse, wax but it also has one that says it is a rinse which is what they call a spot free rinse claiming when the car dries there will be no water spots left behind. I go there all the time and I can tell you that there are NO water spots when the van dries. I am curious as to what they are mixing into the rinse mode to leave no water spots?? The only thing I could think of is something like Jet Dry which is what you put in a dishwasher?? Or something close to that??? Anybody work in a car wash????

Water spots are minerals that were dissolved in the water, but when the water evaporates, the minerals are left behind. Mr. Clean had a car wash wand that had a demineralizer filter on it to prevent this.

I would guess that the jet dry product might work well on a car. The best dryer I've used is a leaf blower. Second best is a soft silicone squeegee.

Waxing your car is a good way to train a beginning martial arts student...

Wax on, wax off...

I am curious as to what they are mixing into the rinse mode to leave no water spots??

They don't mix anything in. The have a reverse osmosis unit that basically removes everything except pure water. So that spot free final rinse is like pure distilled water to make sure there is no soap or minerals left to leave spots when the water evaporates.

Then based on the above, rain water would not leave any water spots, right? (assuming it was not acid rain, of course)

Then based on the above, rain water would not leave any water spots, right? (assuming it was not acid rain, of course)

No, the rain water will pick up any particulates that it encounters on the fall... Ashes, dust, dirt, etc....

Remember "acid rain" (sulfur dioxide pollution)? Talk about water spots! They would be permanently etched into the paint. The problem went away when 2-stage clear coat paints went into widespread use, and at the same time the EPA 1990 Clean Air Act took effect.

I haven't washed my show car for 2 or 3 years. I carefully dust it off with a California Duster and wipe it down with a spray on detailer and some quality microfiber cloths. This is to avoid a 5 hour car wash and subsequent drying to avoid dreaded water spots. If you leave water spots on a fresh paint job, they may become permanent marks in the paint requiring color sanding and polishing to eliminate them.

When I do wash it, I fill a 3 gallon Hudson sprayer with deionized water and use it for the final rinse. Then hit it with a leaf blower, and wipe it down with spray detailer and the correct cloths. It takes a long time to do it right and not swirl up the finish after spending a lot of time to polish the paint. Between washes, I keep it gently dusted and wiped down.

My black paint looks 3 inches deep, because I spent the time to polish the micro swirls off the paint and take care not to mess up my polish job with careless cleaning, washing and wiping.

Attachments

• Cuda 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 186
Your cuda looks awesome.
I just spent 3 days buffing my vette (black) and my shoulders are killing me, old 20 some year old paint.

The car wash deal is an ozone/water softening treatment thing. I'm not sure how it works but it removes the minerals and somehow causes the water to run off easier. you still need to stand by with a towel especially with a dark colored car. It's the sunshine on the water drops (along with minerals in non-softened water) that cause the spots by the magnification of heat through the curvature of the drop.

Wax will prevent water spots but won't eliminate all of them.
It will help water run off but any area that has a drop that does not have a slope to run down could get them, especially if sitting in direct sunlight.

I haven't washed my show car for 2 or 3 years. I carefully dust it off with a California Duster and wipe it down with a spray on detailer and some quality microfiber cloths. This is to avoid a 5 hour car wash and subsequent drying to avoid dreaded water spots. If you leave water spots on a fresh paint job, they may become permanent marks in the paint requiring color sanding and polishing to eliminate them.

When I do wash it, I fill a 3 gallon Hudson sprayer with deionized water and use it for the final rinse. Then hit it with a leaf blower, and wipe it down with spray detailer and the correct cloths. It takes a long time to do it right and not swirl up the finish after spending a lot of time to polish the paint. Between washes, I keep it gently dusted and wiped down.

My black paint looks 3 inches deep, because I spent the time to polish the micro swirls off the paint and take care not to mess up my polish job with careless cleaning, washing and wiping.
Same here, all my dads & my classic cars never been washed. Only spray detailer.

Try white vinegar... Old school body shop guy,recommended it...

Doesn't taste very good outta the bottle, but ya gotta pour some in the pot when you steam your crabs....

I like that,.. No ,prefer bottled booze .. My family did time in your area,early 60's.. The food was absoulutly incredible.. Never been,don't wannha go..

A great way to prevent water spots is to wash and dry in the shade. Either that or invest a ton of money into a filter to get all the minerals out of the water. Deionized water is good for rinses also.

In regards to washing there is so much misinformation out there. Cars need to be washed and if they're washed correctly then no harm will come to the paint. Using a duster to clean it and a detail spray to finish it will result in micro marring over time. It won't cause swirls like you'll see with a rotary buffer and wool pad but if you shine a light on it at the right angle, you'll see tons of little scratches. I usually take about an hour (sometimes more) to wash my car. Some tools include.. 3 buckets (2 for paint, 1 for wheels), grit guards for the buckets, a foam gun, wheel well brush, wheel spoke/barrel brush, lug nut brush, wheel wash mitt, paint wash mitt, paint shampoo, and various sprays and cleaners. I use waffle weave towels and spray wax (Meguiar's D156) to dry and a 420GSM dual pile towel for my final inspection.

I could go very in depth on correctly washing cars but i'll save that for another time. :D

Jet Dry is a surfactant. Surfactants lower the surface tension of liquids or between a liquid and solid. Surfactants may be used as a detergent, a wetting agent, or dispersant, among other things. Feel free to add this to your book of worthless knowledge.

Microfiber cloths and detail spray for the most part work for me, with an occasional hand wash.

A great way to prevent water spots is to wash and dry in the shade. Either that or invest a ton of money into a filter to get all the minerals out of the water. Deionized water is good for rinses also.

In regards to washing there is so much misinformation out there. Cars need to be washed and if they're washed correctly then no harm will come to the paint. Using a duster to clean it and a detail spray to finish it will result in micro marring over time. It won't cause swirls like you'll see with a rotary buffer and wool pad but if you shine a light on it at the right angle, you'll see tons of little scratches. I usually take about an hour (sometimes more) to wash my car. Some tools include.. 3 buckets (2 for paint, 1 for wheels), grit guards for the buckets, a foam gun, wheel well brush, wheel spoke/barrel brush, lug nut brush, wheel wash mitt, paint wash mitt, paint shampoo, and various sprays and cleaners. I use waffle weave towels and spray wax (Meguiar's D156) to dry and a 420GSM dual pile towel for my final inspection.

I could go very in depth on correctly washing cars but i'll save that for another time. :D

Whether washing or dusting and wiping; inexperience, poor technique and using the wrong tools results in tons of scratches both micro and otherwise. Not everyone can do it correctly either technique without scratching the surface, but it can be done quite easily with the right tools and techniques.

Glad you are able to successfully wash your car without scratching it, but don't scare people away from dusting and wiping methods, that you obviously haven't mastered, with blanket statements about unavoidable scratching. Your comment regarding dusting and wiping is just not true for those in the know.

Granted there are times when a wash is needed, but not for on-going maintenance of a well polished car.

-
Back