dog dish hubcap color

-

wanahemi

Reaction score
Just picked up a 68' GTS and the dog dish hubcaps are polished. Anyone can recommend what red paint to use on the small circle and the emblem? Brush or spray?

hubcap.jpg

If the cap is thoroughly cleaned, and the areas to be painted are prepped with 0000 steel wool and prep solvent, you can use any good grade of enamel spray, or by brush with "one shot" sign enamel (if you want what I believe to be the best for such applications), or believe it or not, Rust-oleum enamel in the little cans is a good striping enamel as well, but gums up a little faster than one shot.....cheaper in cost......put it on in a cool place, then bake in direct sunlight for a nice result. If you spray those caps, there's a LOT of tiny masking to do....if you spray, be sure NOT to use heavy wet coats....put it on THIN and walk away....10 minutes later, come back and respray, until you get a nice color coat.

I would stay away from a lacquer....my opinion...(duplicolor makes a lot of lacquers....look for enamel specifically)....the adhesion and durability are much different on such an application......enamel will hold up much better....just don't get it too thick.....too much is not better.

My 2 cents from my experience..........have fun and do a good job! 8)

I've used Testors model enamel applied with a toothpick on emblems. Haven't tryed larger areas like hubcaps. I would try it before attempting a tapeout 4 times.

-
Back