Dog Dish/Poverty Caps Question

-

drtybttr

Reaction score
So here is the story. I sold the wheels before I even got a chance to mock them up. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year approximately they are from and if they are worth anything (If so about home much)? Or should I just hang them up on my garage wall as a sacrifice to the speed gods?

000_0016-4.jpg

000_0017-2.jpg

000_0018.jpg

Generic Dog dishes, it must be for a Plymouth, I know some said Plymouth Division on them but I am not sure about these. Dodge had the redline dog dishes with the logo in the middle, so not from a Dodge. Will probably fit any steel wheel, I reckon no less than $35 each if in good condition.

generic dog dishes, it must be for a plymouth, i know some said plymouth division on them but i am not sure about these. Dodge had the redline dog dishes with the logo in the middle, so not from a dodge. Will probably fit any steel wheel, i reckon no less than $35 each if in good condition.
x2

$35 each?? So $140 for the set?? they are a nice looking set, but $140?? I have seen sets of four on here go for $40 and up

In that case does anyone want them. There is no way I expect to $140 or even $90 since you can get them new for 30 each. If someone wants to make me a reasonable offer I'd be happy to pass them on to someone that could actually use them.

$35 each?? So $140 for the set?? they are a nice looking set, but $140?? I have seen sets of four on here go for $40 and up
times two Steve WOW, 35 a piece ? if thats the case im in the wrong business.

i think these caps are going to be later 75 and up . the dodge and plymouth specific dishes were discontinued sometime in 74 ~~i think~~.... the cop car caps got holes punched in them to let heat escape from the hubs.

They COULD also be from a Dodge. I agree with what is said above about Dodge using these caps with either center emblem or "Dodge Division" script and Plymouth using them either blank as these or With "Plymouth Division" script.
But that was in the late 60's/early 70's. Later on, like for instance on Aspens and Volares, they were all blank regardless of division.

Looks like a pretty decent set, I for one would much rather have a set of decent originals than perfect repops.. Good luck with the sale!

Maybe I'm used to getting gouged on parts I buy, I paid $200 for a set of unrestored Dodge ones, in excellent condition. Put any price on them, I'm just guestimating. :D

Steve's right, they look pretty good but they're nothing special, my local junk yard sells them for 20 bucks a set and he probably has 4 or 5 sets laying around.

Those look like someone polished off the Red Ring and Logo. I have a set like that but mine have the Red Ring and Logo and they look exactly the same, yours are just missing the red ring and logo.

Those look like someone polished off the Red Ring and Logo. I have a set like that but mine have the Red Ring and Logo and they look exactly the same, yours are just missing the red ring and logo.

The logo and ring are actually pressed into the cap, and enameled in. :D

Wow... fun comments...

These are known as "poverty caps" They were used on Plymouth and Dodge cars and trucks in the 70's

They are not dodge redlines with the redlines scrubbed off.

Price all depends. A pretty decent set can run $50-$60 dollars.
A really clean (as in almost perfect condition) can easily bring $75-$100 for the set.

These are just a standard cap that are aluminum.

The caps that have "plymouth division" stamped on them are Stainless Steel and worth more.

The caps that are like these except with the vent holes around the outer edge are off police/taxi service cars. They are Stainless and worth more.

I have sold loads and loads of hub caps.... any further questions just shoot me a p.m. :)

-RPM

last set I sold I got $100 for. The were not the stainless Plymouth Division version, just the plane aluminum. But that was a few years back before the reproductions came out. How do the repro's fit though ? If they fit well then originals would be worth the same, perhaps a bit less given the same condition. If the repro's dont fit well or the finish is bad then that would drive the price of originals up over $35 piece.

The repops suck in comparison in my opinon. They are very lightweight (even more then the originals) they feel like they can warp just by putting them on.

-RPM

They COULD also be from a Dodge. I agree with what is said above about Dodge using these caps with either center emblem or "Dodge Division" script and Plymouth using them either blank as these or With "Plymouth Division" script.
But that was in the late 60's/early 70's. Later on, like for instance on Aspens and Volares, they were all blank regardless of division.

Looks like a pretty decent set, I for one would much rather have a set of decent originals than perfect repops.. Good luck with the sale!
X2.....they even came on Dodge pickups and vans up until the early '80's when they went to the big bolt pattern.

-
Back