Dogs & pills....

-
Iam writing on my husband's name I work ata Veterinary clinic and I. Have given all kinds of pills all kinds of ways the easiest and quickest is..... shove itdown their throat it is a certainty that it has been t as Ken

Iam writing on my husband's name I work ata Veterinary clinic and I. Have given all kinds of pills all kinds of ways the easiest and quickest is..... shove itdown their throat it is a certainty that it has been t as Ken

Laughing so hard I am crying....quick question....I have tried to just force her mouth open....she clamps her jaws so tight that it just aint gonna happen. How do you get her mouth open when she is like this?

The pill pockets are working. Ernie just gave her the pill, she willingly took it and swallowed it. When we give her any one of the medications we hold onto her for a little while just to make sure she does not spit it out, would not want the puppies to get a hold of a pain killer.

Grab the muzzle on both sides at the lips and squeeze up/in - the mouth should open...some dogs clamp hard, but you can usually get it to work (except that this is hard with a no-muzzle dog like a Pekingese - fortunately, she was a greedy little girl). My GSD liked to chew while I was doing the squeeze, so watch your fingers.

Sadly, I'm having to do this with our new rescue, Cara. She has pneumonia (secondary infection from the kennel cough she came down with the night after we brought her home). She's a sick baby right now...and at least one of the other dogs (Thor) now has kennel cough. :-(

Pill pockets.....what a deal. I give Queenie her pill right after I get out of bed. Now when she hears me fumbling with the foil package she gets up and comes over and sits in front of me, waiting for her pill. Hope she never catches on....

We rescued a new dog two weeks ago...she came down with kennel cough as soon as she got home (and got the other 3 dogs sick, too). We've been wiping snot off dogs like it's a day care for 2-3 year old kids with colds.

Anyway, the new dog, Cara, took pills fine when we started...now she's like a patient in a psych ward - cheeking them and spitting them out. She won't swallow - every other dog we've ever had would swallow when you stroked their throat...she just waits until you give up and spits out the pills.

We're having a hard time getting her to eat anything...now, she's feeling a bit better, but checks the hot dog slices for 'seeds' before eating them. Everything I thought I knew about this applies to every dog I've ever had, but her. ;-)

Glad pill pockets are working for you! (they still work on our other 3 - everybody is on antibiotics to avoid pneumonia, which Cara came down with ).

Peanut Butter.

I use to put my dog's pills inside a spoonful of peanut butter, on the tip of my finger, and scrape it off behind her front teeth on the roof of her mouth. She loved peanut butter, and never once rejected the pill.

Cheese works well, too. I'd use cheese as a change a pace for her. It was just as effective.

The dog seemed to think it was a treat, as she would come right to me and sit in front of me wagging her tail and readily take the peanut butter or cheese. Never had to force here to take it, ever.

Peanut Butter.

I use to put my dog's pills inside a spoonful of peanut butter, on the tip of my finger, and scrape it off behind her front teeth on the roof of her mouth. She loved peanut butter, and never once rejected the pill.

Cheese works well, too. I'd use cheese as a change a pace for her. It was just as effective.

The dog seemed to think it was a treat, as she would come right to me and sit in front of me wagging her tail and readily take the peanut butter or cheese. Never had to force here to take it, ever.

Peanut butter worked once, then she figured out what that was about. Pill is pretty big, will not fit in a cheese stick. Tried a hot dog, she would not even take it. These pill pockets are the deal. I give Queenie this particular pill when I first get out of bed. Soon as she sees me over near where I keep them she comes over and sits. Course now the pups have figured out what is going on and come over to investigate. Petsmart wants a small fortune for the Pet Pills, bought 3 pounds of them off of EPay for $42 shipped. Think Ernie spent 8 bucks on one small bag locally.

Was curious the other day and tried to give Queenie some Peanut Butter. She was very hesitant in taking it. Threw a hot dog on the Green Egg the other day, chopped it up and put it in with her dinner. She ate all the dog food first....and then inspected each piece of hot dog even though the hot dog was cut into small pieces. Guess she does not trust me anymore...

Frankie, you have one of those Coon cats, I think that is what they are called, don't you? Ever have to give him/her pills?

Peanut butter worked once, then she figured out what that was about. Pill is pretty big, will not fit in a cheese stick.

If its a pill, crush it, if a capsule, open it, and mix the powder in the peanut butter or softened cheese. If you use cheese, let it harden slightly before you give it to the dog.

If you put the peanut butter with crushed pill in the dogs mouth, and smear it to the roof of her mouth, she will not be able to reject it, she will simply spend aout 5 minutes or so licking at it until it's gone.

Frankie, you have one of those Coon cats, I think that is what they are called, don't you? Ever have to give him/her pills?

Absolutely, I just crush them and mix it into her wet food, works every time. Twice a day, in fact, and has been working for about 4 years, now. It doesn't work with dry food, though.

-
Back