doh! 904 not a 727

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
just pulled engine and trans out of my demon, pulled out spare trans i bought 2 yrs ago for a song, seller said 727 so i never really paid attention to it. obviously its a 904. my 727 was leaking like a sieve out of inspection cover. any chance its just the front seal? kinda hoping its just that, moneys kinda tight right now

Since you have the transmission there and we cannot see it, maybe if you inspect it you can tell where it is leaking from.

Plus in many cases you are probably better off with a 904. Lighter, less HP loss, and doesn't have "explosion" issues which 727 can have in some cases

So far as "where" I recently got led astray on an A-518. Turned out it's the big gasket around the front pump mount. Front seal is 'fine.'

im right in middle of seperating engine and trans right now, i would use 904 but its about 2 inches shorter than 727, dont have funds for longer driveshaft

yes it is, it wasnt front seal , its the bushing the torque converter snout goes into right behind the seal. half of the inner lining of bushing was floating around in there. does anyone know the actual name of this bushing so i can order one? i found a bushing kit for 16.99, but if i only need the one no sense ordering the kit.

That's your front pump bushing.

been reading some older posts on this, is it possible the pump and torque converter are trashed?

I would be nervous about the inner condition of that trans. The last thing you want is that thing coming apart while you are in it. It can get real messy, real quick.

I'm no trans guy by any means, but I have seen the aftermath of one coming apart at the track, it's pretty violent. That's why I will never run a 727. They are a good trans if built correctly, but for my use (and peace of mind) a 904 will be plenty. I have seen 904's break as well, but they tend to break, not explode.

More than likely

X2, as I can't imagine bushing material going through the pump and converter and not doing damage.
Also, if the bushing was that bad the converter snout is probably trashed or even cracked.

Only disassembly and inspection will tell.

I would be nervous about the inner condition of that trans. The last thing you want is that thing coming apart while you are in it. It can get real messy, real quick.

I'm no trans guy by any means, but I have seen the aftermath of one coming apart at the track, it's pretty violent. That's why I will never run a 727. They are a good trans if built correctly, but for my use (and peace of mind) a 904 will be plenty. I have seen 904's break as well, but they tend to break, not explode.

You can cure the explosion factor with a low band apply valve body and/or billet front drum.

To the OP, For small parts I've bought from http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com , they have individual pump bushings listed. But I would also agree that you should tear it down if you have had junk go through the trans. On a side note another reason for fluid to be leaking from the front of the trans is because of a fluid getting pushed out of vent hole, I've had a faulty converter do this. Best of luck getting it fixed. Cheers

thanks guys, the tc did survive, trans shop pulled the pan, full of clutch material, debris and a screw floating around

-
Back