DOHC hemi A925

-
Do you think the engine would be reliable? Whats the advantage of an over head cam?

Typically the advantage of the overhead cam is that you can have four valves instead of two. Theory being that you can get more area with two valves than one.

They tried to go with a dual overhead cam when developing the 5.7 Hemi, but found that with the "Hemi" head design, that they could put two valves in per cylinder and with the bigger valves get more surface area with one bigger valve, than two smaller ones.

Area = Pi x radius**2 = Pi/4 x Diameter**2 = .7854 x Diameter**2

For 1" diameter:

Area = .7854 x (1)**2 = .7854 x 1 = .7854

So two 1" diameter valves will have:

2 x .7854 = 1.5708

For a 2" diameter:

Area = .7854 x (2)**2 = .7854 x 4 = 3.1416

So, it is better to run a 2" diameter valve, than two 1" diameter valves.

Yes, you minimize the rocker gear weight by eliminating the push rods, but you now need a longer timing chain/belt which will have more stretch/variation. This will stretch more than the timing chain needed for an internal cam push rod engine.

Not to mention Timing both cams in to by in synch with each other. They had some problems with the 3.5 dual overhead cam engine for getting both bank cams in phase.

Dual overhead cams is not the end all and cure all for valve train, like the propaganda has tried to influence you into thinking.

The 2.0 L had a dual overhead cam and single overhead cam version. The single overhead cam engine was made in Trenton, MI, and the dual overhead cam engine was made in Mexico. Both engines had 4 valves per cylinder. The single overhead cam engine used a "forked"/split rocker arm that had one input for the exhaust cam lobe, then two outputs for each valve. That forked rocker arm was very expensive to manufacture, and making a dual overhead cam to eliminate the forked rocker arm was cheaper because two single exhaust rockers were cheaper than the one 'double' rocker arm in the single overhead cam.

When comparing valve size the circumference is what makes the "window" that air can flow through, not the area of the valve.

A quick example would be the Ford Mod 4 valve, 2 - 1.45" valves have 9" circ.
With the small 3.55" bore let's say a 1.9" valve = about 6" circ.

If you take the circumference and multiply by the lift it gives the actual size of "window".

The A925, I would have LOVED to seen, what could have been SHOULD have been NOT just for NASCAR but for the rest of racing or hell even street use! That engine would have changed the whole auto world.....My only concern, that drive belt, they sat up, why couldn't have they used a chain? A dual double linked chain kinda like a heavy duty timing chain?

Lots of questions, I wished I could just "play" to get it to run while sitting in a dyno on a properly sat up 426 block.....OHHHH the fun I'd have!

So this article, anyone have or know of a "scanned" copy online? I don't have a single "old" magazine for Mopar, I'm gonna start searching them out just a bit but, just those that incorperate the 426 BOTH, the Wedge and the Hemi......But I'd like to read all I could as this is/has to be the most interesting engine I've EVER read about to date.....JUST because Olds tried something VERY similar to it.....Was the Pent-Roof 455. But wasn't as powerful as the Mopar projected 900-1,000 HP 426 DOHC Hemi......

All the articles I've ever read said that none existed and that the pictures were concocted in an effort to show NASCAR that they would build it if Ford was allowed the cammer.

Interesting that you mention this. If you look at the photos on the first page of this thread, it appears that the timing belt would totally interfere with the water pump inlet hose. Not sure that the prototype shown would actually be functional.

-
Back