DOHC hemi A925

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
So i read about project A925 and how nascar outlawed over head valve engines, but how cool woult this be, and how about the power and reliability it would have, what even happened to the prototype engine? Has any other development took place to restore what was once started?

I think I read about that engine back in the late 80s.
It never got past the valvetrain testing spun with electric motors.
Was breaking Alcoa aluminum plates or something like that. Never run on
a gasoline powered engine before it was outlawed and development ceased.
The doomsday machine was the magazine title If I remember correct.
That was along time ago, never heard anything new about it since.

I think I read about that engine back in the late 80s.
It never got past the valvetrain testing spun with electric motors.
Was breaking Alcoa aluminum plates or something like that. Never run on
a gasoline powered engine before it was outlawed and development ceased.
The doomsday machine was the magazine title If I remember correct.
That was along time ago, never heard anything new about it since.

I remember that article. From what I remember is that Chrysler really didn't have any plans to build it, they used it to psyche NASCAR into banning the Ford Cammer.

Projections had it somewhere in the 900-1000 hp range.

Yup. There was never even a prototype. It was smoke and mirrors basically telling NASCAR that if they allowed the Ford 427 SOHC to run, then we're going to run "THIS". LOL

The OP said they outlawed overhead valve motors I think he meant overhead cam motors. I ain't trying to be no A$$ but just wanted to keep some rookie straight. Lol.

I read an article about it in a car mag back in the 80's that claimed they were walking around a swap meet and a guy had a t-shirt that said A-925. It said that he had one of the broken motors and was trying to get the rocker gear repaired.

Never heard a thing about it after that....

wasn't the A-925 installed into a barracuda coupe a few years ago I remember seeing the name in a mopar magainze article following the reserecting of the motor

wasn't the A-925 installed into a barracuda coupe a few years ago I remember seeing the name in a mopar magainze article following the reserecting of the motor

That was the ball stud Hemi built by Arruza. Different animal, no overhead cams.

Do you think the engine would be reliable? Whats the advantage of an over head cam?

Chrysler said that 2 were actually made in a magazine article I have in my closet somewhere. Supposedly one was destroyed but that someone else still owned the other one. Said it could operate at some 7500-9000 rpm! And 900hp!

I know the dude that has the engine and I have seen it. It was many years ago but it was and is cool.
Tom

I read an article awhile ago and it talked about the potential of this motor was in the variable valve timing that Hoover fooled around with. Rather than open two intake valves as quick, long and high as you could he tried opening one before the other creating a small tornado on top of the piston helping with cylinder fill. This is the same theory that gives the modern engines so much power with efficiency.

Smart guy in 1964.

All the articles I've ever read said that none existed and that the pictures were concocted in an effort to show NASCAR that they would build it if Ford was allowed the cammer. It's interesting to learn that there were two engines actually made.

There's a little on it on this Allpar page that seems to support there were two made, and one destroyed.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hemi.html#

Oh what couldda been. lol

-
Back