doing a little 4 speed building

-

68 HEMI GTS

Reaction score
as i've mentioned before im going back to the stick shift. i've had two proshifted 4 speeds i bought back when i was still a teenager and never used till 2 years ago. one is a stock ratio and the other has custom low gearing. well after running both in the dart, i discovered the low gear trans was wore out and needed a fresh pro shift (i couldn't even keep it in gear). i ran the stock ratio trans for about a week but broke it at the track, it was also in very used condition. last year i had the gearset redone for the stock ration trans but never built it. after talking to the clutch guy i realized i need a low first gear, so i just had the other gearset redone. figured i might as well build both of them while i was at it. a lot of people keep asking me what they look like so i figured i'd post some pics.

i had second re-proshifted on both gearsets and had 3rd & 4th faceplated, Libertys is suppose to be working on a faceplate for second.

faceplated 4th
proshifted4speed004-1.jpg

faceplated 3rd
proshifted4speed011-1.jpg

faceplated slider
proshifted4speed010-1.jpg

proshifted 2nd
proshifted4speed005-1.jpg

proshifted slider
proshifted4speed017.jpg

both traneys
293trans008.jpg

main shaft assembly
proshifted4speed020.jpg

assembled
293trans015.jpg

low gear input
293trans004.jpg

low gear cluster
293trans003.jpg

Nice work. Splain if you would in layman's terms exactly what pro shifting does. I've also heard slick shifting. I guess that is the same? What does it allow you to do that you could not normally? I think I know, but I'm not sure.

Nice work. Splain if you would in layman's terms exactly what pro shifting does. I've also heard slick shifting. I guess that is the same? What does it allow you to do that you could not normally? I think I know, but I'm not sure.

its a little different from a slick shift. on the slick shift they just remove every other tooth off the gear, kind of like my first gear. off to the left of the picture
proshifted4speed011.jpg

basically the proshift make the trans almost effortless to upshift under high RPM and horsepower. it removes all the syncro's from the trans though, so downshifting is a bit of a hassle. from what i've learned the proshift works better than the slick shift and is much more durable the faceplate is even better. its not the most street friendly set up, but they work well for drag racing.

I got my gears and sliders back last friday, boy Liberty does some nice work. I had them sycro first pro shift second with a dummy ring and face plate third and fourth. I put the trans to gether on wed. and finished setting up the shifter to day, its a hurst ram rod that I made my own bracket and heim joint linkage so the shift handle comes up through the the stock hole in the floor. Then I made it into a pistolgrip with a squeeze handle for the lock out for first&second out of a dirtbike small brake lever instead of the pull up T handle they come with.

So then....are we talking about upshifting without the clutch here or just making it a lot easier with the clutch? I'm not knockin it....obviously since you're puttin so much effort into it...it works. I'm just trying to understand. I mean if you still have to USE the clutch to upshift, I'm not seein the benefits. Maybe it's because I've never driven one. I have heard of knocking every other tooth off though. Skyooze my manual ignorance. I've always dealt mostly with automatics.

So then....are we talking about upshifting without the clutch here or just making it a lot easier with the clutch? I'm not knockin it....obviously since you're puttin so much effort into it...it works. I'm just trying to understand. I mean if you still have to USE the clutch to upshift, I'm not seein the benefits. Maybe it's because I've never driven one. I have heard of knocking every other tooth off though. Skyooze my manual ignorance. I've always dealt mostly with automatics.

you still gotta use the clutch. stock hemi box's don't always shift all that great at high RPM. the libertys mods take care of that

just keep that gas matted, bump the clutch between gears, and hold on!!

I got my gears and sliders back last friday, boy Liberty does some nice work. I had them sycro first pro shift second with a dummy ring and face plate third and fourth. I put the trans to gether on wed. and finished setting up the shifter to day, its a hurst ram rod that I made my own bracket and heim joint linkage so the shift handle comes up through the the stock hole in the floor. Then I made it into a pistolgrip with a squeeze handle for the lock out for first&second out of a dirtbike small brake lever instead of the pull up T handle they come with.

sounds pretty cool, you have any pictures of your first/second gear set up? im curious what it looks like with the syncro'd first.

The slider for first & second looks like yours, the difference is you put the syncro back in on first and the syncro struts and retention springs back in,( and Liberty machined the clutching teeth and the grooves on the inside of a syncro off so it can not grab second gear ) and you put the blocker ring on second gear side just to keep the struts and spring from falling out. This way you can still down shift first. Liberty said this makes it more streetable, you can down shift the faceplated third gear than skip second and drop it in too first when you get down to the right speed.

The slider for first & second looks like yours, the difference is you put the syncro back in on first and the syncro struts and retention springs back in,( and Liberty machined the clutching teeth and the grooves on the inside of a syncro off so it can not grab second gear ) and you put the blocker ring on second gear side just to keep the struts and spring from falling out. This way you can still down shift first. Liberty said this makes it more streetable, you can down shift the faceplated third gear than skip second and drop it in too first when you get down to the right speed.

sounds pretty cool, wish i'd know about that cause i'd have went that route for sure. i have figured out how to down shift second and first, it just takes some double clutching. definatly gotta get it into first before you come to a stop, other wise your screwed in traffic!! lol

Have you run your trans yet?

On the street?
On the strip?
If so how well did it work?

Thanks,
Mike

My Liberty trans is working great, you have to double clutch 2,3 and 4 or rev match to go up and down and 1st is syncroed so never a problem there. At the track and on the street at high RPMs a touch of the clutch with my right foot berried in the carb it almost shifts its self. Too see vidios of the car at the track you can go to my son's YouTube site (MRMOTORMAN23) the last two vidios are with the Liberty at Musclepalooza. The second run I broke the handle off the Hurst V gate hitting second gear. The rest of the vidios of my car are with the trans I slick shifted my self, the Liberty works much better.

19Dart66, when did you first start going to the Valley, I've grown up going to that track and love it there very much. My dad actually races his 69 R/T there...... Anyways you have a great looking Dart, I hope when I finish my build we can meet up one day there. It will be a dream come true for me to one day race a car that I've built at the Valley...... Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

-
Back