Doing it right the first time

-
I use skim coat on all ports. Just a very thin skim coat. Not sure it would fix that however. I am trying to imagine what would cause that. A long shot: Valve covers coming down on the upper edge of the intake gasket and crushing it down maybe?

Have the heads, block or intake been angle milled or machined at all? Just thinking out loud here...

Look at the piston that came out of that bore and see if there are any dark grey oval or circular areas on the thrust faces.... it almost looks like the piston scuffed. The 'dribbles' on the cylinder wall would be some sort of etching as a guess.... did this sit a while? Or a lot of grit got in there.

Looks like the bearing saw a bit of heat (from oil starvation?) but the pix is not too clear.

Maybe some honing grit? Next time, clean the bores with ATF on paper towels or cotton sheet materials.... low lint, not shop towels. Run it through over and over 'til the last wipe comes out 100% clean. The ATF will pull all sorts of crud out of the honing marks.

2-4 intake gasket second time it's looked like this

1) What intake are You running?
2) Are You using end-rail gaskets, or just RTV, plastic retaining dowels for such in or out?
3) The gasket is not just pulled away, it has shifted towards cyl. #4 both times?
4) I'd get carbonless paper from Goodson & bolt the intake down w/the heads bolted on w/the gaskets, see what contact pattern shows.

2) Are You using end-rail gaskets, or just RTV, plastic retaining dowels for such in or out?
3) The gasket is not just pulled away, it has shifted towards cyl. #4 both times?
4) I'd get carbonless paper from Goodson & bolt the intake down w/the heads bolted on w/the gaskets, see what contact pattern shows.

Rpm air gap
Right stuff front and rear
Shifted towards #4 both times.
I'll do that when it's back together.
Thanks.

Maybe some honing grit? Next time, clean the bores with ATF on paper towels or cotton sheet materials.... low lint, not shop towels. Run it through over and over 'til the last wipe comes out 100% clean. The ATF will pull all sorts of crud out of the honing marks.
And use a fresh towel/rag with each pass with fresh ATF.

Sorry, just reread My post, to be clear......I would bolt the heads on w/the old head gaskets, then bolt the intake down w/only the carbonless paper on the heads..........

-
Back