Dome Light Not Working

-

Blu 69 Dart

Reaction score
I have 69 dodge dart, and the dome light will not come on. I've checked the fuses, the bulb. What would the wiring color be under the dash that goes to the bulb?
I presume the wiring goes up the left 'A' pillar???

Thanks Mick

I believe you can find those wires in the upper left side of trunk, from there they go under the rocker. You should be able to find the colors so you can trace them, may even find the problem in the trunk.

Did this "just happen" or did it ever work?

Make darn sure you have the correct bulb.......they are dual contact. Power goes up to the socket on one contact, through the bulb, and out on "yellow" which runs to door and headlight switch. This yellow is grounded by the switches to activate the bulb

I would "carefully" probe the socket and see if you have power on one contact

You can download free factory shop manuals as well as alternative aftermarket wiring diagrams at MyMopar. The diagrams in the shop manual is more complete and more accurate

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Start with the door switch. Remove and inspect for corrosion. Pretty common for them to be green after 40+ years. It's a funky set up - the contact point is a cone/taper design with a plunger that contacts with the door open. It's pretty thin so don't be surprised if it's corroded away. I carefully wire brush them and grease them. Wire brush the threads for a good ground and reinstall.

67 Dart273,sorry about that, but I have been different things every day, and still no results. A guy gave me a light switch, not the same as mine, so that didn't work. I tried 10' long wind up jumpers to by pass any breaks?? No go.
I got a new door switch , which I'll try tomorrow. Thanks everyone

-
Back