Dome light won't turn off

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I can't get the dome light in my '70 Duster to work properly. If I put a bulb in the socket it stays on no matter what I do with the door switches (doors closed or open) or the headlight switch (which I have replaced with a new one from Checker Auto). I've carefully studied the wiring diagrams but can't figure out where in the circuit the problem is. Has anybody else had a problem like this, and how might I fix it? It would be nice to have a working dome light so I can see inside my car at night.

well first off twist the headlight switch knob to the right.if that don't work then there is a screw stuck thru the yeller wires that lead to the door switches just guessing here but prolly where the gauges got mounted under the dash ........if I'm right do I get a free beer? the yeller wires will make the dome light come on when grounded.

Hey guys, I can't get the dome light in my '70 Duster to work properly. If I put a bulb in the socket it stays on no matter what I do with the door switches (doors closed or open) or the headlight switch (which I have replaced with a new one from Checker Auto). I've carefully studied the wiring diagrams but can't figure out where in the circuit the problem is. Has anybody else had a problem like this, and how might I fix it? It would be nice to have a working dome light so I can see inside my car at night.
Since you've replaced the headlight switch, I'd check the door pin switches. They act as a switched ground. It could be that the switch is somehow crapped-up, or one of the wires has found its way into contact with a chassis ground point (fallen off the switch, worn through insulation, etc). I'd have to look to be sure, but I think they'll just screw out.

I unscrewed and disconnected the wires in the door switches and the dome light miraculously still came on.

I unscrewed and disconnected the wires in the door switches and the dome light miraculously still came on.

The way that the light is wired, power is supplied to the socket at all times and the HL switch and door switches ground the circuit to make the light come on. We know that there isn't a short in the hot wire because you haven't posted that your car went up in smoke so it got to be in the ground side. The wires go from the dome light to the left and then back behind the quarter window and down to a 2 prong plug either under or behind the back seat on the left side. The ground wire is YELLOW. From there the wires feed under the edge of the door molding forward to a plug behind the left kick panel. The yellow coming out of that plug goes across the under side of the dash and is split. One side to the left door switch, one to the HL switch and one going all the way across the dash to the right door switch. Usually its a pinched wire. Look where the wires are under the rear seat. Look where the sill molding screw at the rear of the floor by the driver's door (it sometimes gets screwed into the wiring harness). Look under the dash. Any installed components there could pinch the wire. Check where the yellow wire feeds thru the little clips that secure it under the dash. They are sharp and may nick the wire and cause it to ground.

Larry

Is this a new problem ? Do you have a aftermarket sterio ? I've seen people tap whatever hot wire they found handy for radio memory. Then the radio is providing the ground and holding the light on. Just a thought. Good luck

Is this a new problem ? Do you have a aftermarket sterio ? I've seen people tap whatever hot wire they found handy for radio memory. Then the radio is providing the ground and holding the light on. Just a thought. Good luck

No it's been there since I got the car (and it didn't even have a radio then). I'll look at those places you recommended lhearold.

-
Back