DON'T try to run Hooker Comp headers on a Magnum engine...

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Sheesh:

Basically, the issue is the driver's side. The two center tubes massively hit the new mount used in the trucks. I spent hours grinding on it last night and managed to cover my entire garage in iron dust (and my car- ugh). The tubes are still hitting what's left of the damn mount!

Neither the 1-3/4 Super Comp (which I just sold :sad6: ) nor the TTi headers have these fitment issues.

FYI!

Steve

Sheesh:

Basically, the issue is the driver's side. The two center tubes massively hit the new mount used in the trucks. I spent hours grinding on it last night and managed to cover my entire garage in iron dust (and my car- ugh). The tubes are still hitting what's left of the damn mount!

Neither the 1-3/4 Super Comp (which I just sold :sad6: ) nor the TTi headers have these fitment issues.

FYI!

Steve
I thought that,s the way things were supposed to happen,sell parts then need them.That,s the way it always happens for me anyway.Hope you figure it out?

I ground down the center mount and now they fit. My problem with them is, if you use the spark plug heat shields, the #3 tube contacts the #5 and #7 wire boots. I guess I will have to cut them down or something.

Hmm:

Good info about the heat shields. I hadn't planned on using them, but it does look like some wire looms and such will be necessary on 5 and 7.

I did get the header on there, but I had to grind that center portion of the mount completely away. I wouldn't attempt the job with anything less than a good angle grinder. Not a job for a dremel - LOL!

I must say that these are pretty well built for a $150 set of headers. I don't know how well they seal or how long they last, but the construction seems pretty good. The paint is crap, but I knew that going in. I'll either wrap these or have them coated if I find some money.

Steve

Yep, I sold a 25,000 mile 360/727 5 months before I aquired my '65 barracuda. Since then I've had to aquire another motor/trans. Go figure.

Did a test drop putting the engine in the car with these, no transmission.

Whoah. I can't believe they even mass produce headers for these cars. LOL!
Its tighter than a hummingbird's tweet in there.

I've got maybe 1/4 between the header and the steering shaft on one side, and maybe half that between the header and the torsion bar on the other.

I dinged them just a little bit to improve the clearances. That'll buy me maybe another 1/16th to 1/8th.

I was able to drop the engine in with the driver side header on (with some finagling). I hung the passenger side header off the the shock with some zip ties. It looks like it would be possible to squirrel that passenger side in with the motor in place if the oil filter were removed. Of course with the transmission installed, that might be a different story.

-
Back