Door Glass Chrome Trim Coming off

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
My 71 Scamp has some chrome trim that wraps around the glass on the back end opposite the vent window. I can get pics if needed. Anyways, when I roll the window down that trim tends to stay put and not go down with the window. I have to grab it and push it down.

My question is what originally held this trim to the glass?

That piece is held on by a very tight fit using "glass setting tape" between the chrome piece and the glass. The setting tape comes in a variety of thickness in order to get the proper tight fit.

GZ-R031 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 1/32" thick $ 1.85 ft.
GZ-R047 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 3/64" thick $ .85 ft.
GZ-R062 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 1/16" thick $ 1 .90 ft.
GZ-R093 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 3/32" thick $ .90 ft.

That piece is held on by a very tight fit using "glass setting tape" between the chrome piece and the glass. The setting tape comes in a variety of thickness in order to get the proper tight fit.

GZ-R031 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 1/32" thick $ 1.85 ft.
GZ-R047 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 3/64" thick $ .85 ft.
GZ-R062 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 1/16" thick $ 1 .90 ft.
GZ-R093 Various Yrs Sealstrip All Rubber Glass Setting Tape - 1-1/2" width x 3/32" thick $ .90 ft.

Rick- When you order this stuff from ya'll, does it come folded up or rolled up?

Being that it's sold by the foot, we cut what is ordered and roll it up and put in a plastic bag so that when it's un-rolled, it's nice and flat to work with.

Being that it's sold by the foot, we cut what is ordered and roll it up and put in a plastic bag so that when it's un-rolled, it's nice and flat to work with.

I figured that, but thought I would ask. I ordered some once from another place and it came in folded and creased.

Rick, thank you! Have a couple questions for you. Does the tape sit in the "U" of the chrome trim or on the flats and that are the inside and outside of the glass? How do I know what tape thickness to get?

Every time the trim comes off I just push it tight up to the glass and it sits nicely against the quarter window trim, if this helps.

Rick, thank you! Have a couple questions for you. Does the tape sit in the "U" of the chrome trim or on the flats and that are the inside and outside of the glass? How do I know what tape thickness to get?

Every time the trim comes off I just push it tight up to the glass and it sits nicely against the quarter window trim, if this helps.

The setting tape fits in the "U" of the chrome piece, then it slides onto the edge of the glass. The best way to determine the thickness needed is to use a micrometer on any old small piece of it that you can. Or....because you'll only need a foot or two of it and it's not absurdly expensive, a lot of our customers will buy a couple feet of each thickness and use what fits best. This setting tape is also used on the lower edge of the vent wing windows where the wing pivot goes on the bottom of the vent wing glass too......

I've bought this from Laysons and use it with perfect results! Don't remember the thickness, seems to be about 1/16"! I shape into a U as Rick mentions and tap the division moulding on with a rubber mallet and trim off the access! It also works to keep the vent window in the pivot! Geof

The setting tape fits in the "U" of the chrome piece, then it slides onto the edge of the glass. The best way to determine the thickness needed is to use a micrometer on any old small piece of it that you can. Or....because you'll only need a foot or two of it and it's not absurdly expensive, a lot of our customers will buy a couple feet of each thickness and use what fits best. This setting tape is also used on the lower edge of the vent wing windows where the wing pivot goes on the bottom of the vent wing glass too......

I've bought this from Laysons and use it with perfect results! Don't remember the thickness, seems to be about 1/16"! I shape into a U as Rick mentions and tap the division moulding on with a rubber mallet and trim off the access! It also works to keep the vent window in the pivot! Geof

Thank you guys! I'll be placing a order for it soon.

-
Back