door handle button sticks

-

crazycarmen

Reaction score
The thumb button gets stuck in on my 74 dart. The lock locks without any help, also! In the past a piece of plastic had gotten stuck where the door latches. Do you all think that the clip could be broken inside the door? Is this the correct part that I need? I'm a novice, and am worried to take the door panel off! Can you all give me some tips on how to get the panel off without ruining the panel or the clips that hold it on?
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Door_Lock_Rod_Clip_Chrysler_p/a10262.htm

whoa!! slow down-- you might need that clip, might not--- first off --door panel-- is held in place by strong clips that usually tear the backer board & proper tool & time they snap right out.
slide tool so said clip is in between the forks & pry-- should pop out-- screws are self-explanatory.

as for the push -button-- your door has seen a lot of use-- has it ever been cleaned/lubed?

try spraying it down with a ton of wd-40(won't harm the paint)
use some carb cleaner at first with the nozzle attached & spray inside the latch mechanism.
see if this improves the latch movement.
take your time & search on this site-- you can do it -- ,Lawrence^

The button part isn't a big deal at all, and usually just a shot of something will free it up.
I did one of mine the other day because I had the panel off already to do some (silencing) and glass adjusting on the inside of the door.
Just a couple of blocks of foam rubber about 2x2 silences noisy rods, and helps to keep them from moving on thier own.
I put them between the inner door and the rods, and it works great for quite awhile.

Falling into the lock position was a function of an over center type spring in the mechanism I think. (what it feels like anyway)

While I had the panel off I shot the button mechanism with a spray liquid graphite that dries and leaves the graphite.
WD40 works also, but it dries up fast and the problem comes back sooner. (why I use the graphite spray)

My husband did spray pb blaster around the button. I think it helped a little, but it still sticks occasionally. The inside handle moves fine, but just won't open the door. I only thought that the lock clip might be broken, because it locks on it's own. I will need to take the panel off eventually to fix a rattly window, so maybe I'll look into getting the stuff I need for that, and then see what's going on when I have the stuff! I am thankful for my bench seat, it makes it easy to slide over! Thank you both for your help!

-
Back