Door handle only works from inside, need help.

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
1971 Dart, although the door may be from earlier dart. It opens fine from the inside but not from the outside. Here's a video of it.

Here's some pics.
20200101_122231.jpg
20200101_122220.jpg

Upon further inspection I think the metal rod behind the handle is worn too short. What's the best course of action to fix this? New handle?

My 65 Valiant wagon did this and I just bent the rod that the outside button pushes so it would work again. They get bent more than worn . It was an easy no dollar fix

I believe my handle is different from yours and doesn't have that bent rod in the back but I could be wrong. I'm about to take it off and check.

Fixed it. The part that holds on to the back of the button was bent and not staying in place so I bent it back.

Normally I check 2 things before I chase a gremlin on door locks and latches.. 1. if the inside door opens the door just fine see ho far it pushes the latch release. 2. make sure the door lock rod is all the way up and not partially pushed down in the almost lock the car position, (yeah that got me a couple times) then look at the rod position from the outer handle when the inner handle is used. If the inner handle pushes the latch opening back further it's probably a bent rod, re-bend and go.(after cleaning up and lubing up really well with either spray lube or brushed on ) that's all I got from the picture and video. but the wife calls me oblivious for a reason sometimes.

There is a adjustment for this...you may like to try first. It took me a few tries to get the adjustment down correctly, but once done the outside door button takes little travel time for the door to open. It took an allen wrench for the adjustment screw.

IMG_3772.JPG

-
Back