Door handles on a '71 Dart, how big a PITA?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Never had the door panels off of my car, or done door handles before, but the tops of my door handles are pitted and I'd like to replace them. How difficult a job is it to get the new ones in and working correctly?

How likely is the door panel to survive being removed?

Sort of recommitting to my car and am going to do the little stuff to make it pop. Emblems/door handles/bumpers etc.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

You will more than likely break a couple of the door panel clips when you remove them, but you should find replacements pretty easy. The thing that you have to watch for is pulling them out of the back of the door panel. I have a tool for removing them which helps. The door handles are easy to replace and are only held on by a couple of nuts and a plastic clip connected to a linkage going to your latch assy.

Thanks!

Is the standard "trim tool" going to work? Are the clips available in the "Help" aisle (yeah, right), or is it a mail order deal. Would like to have the stuff on hand when I get started.

Steve

I can take some pictures of the back side of the door panel, the clips and the door without the panel later today when I get home. Bug me if you don't hear from me.

You are more likely to break the panel than the clips. It's just pressboard.

I forgot to take pictures last night, so I snapped a couple on the way out this morning. The metal clips are stock, the plastic ones are aftermarket. The main thing is to not grab way out away from the clip and pull too hard. it will crack the board. you wanrt the pressure to come from right by the clips. It's really easy. Not a big deal at all. It's way easier than trying to jam your hands inside the door.

Attachments

• IMG-20110809-00052.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-20110809-00053.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG-20110809-00054.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 96
-
Back