Door hinge rebuild

-

player1up

Reaction score
I'm looking to rebuild the driver door hinges on my 73 duster and had planned on picking the stuff up in the "Help" section at the local auto parts place.

The plan goes like this:
1. Rebuild a spare set of hinges that I have from a 72 duster.
2. Support the door with a floor jack (foam or something soft between the door and the jack)
3. Swap rebuilt hinges for old saggy ones.

Anything I should be wary of?
Are the hinges a pain to rebuild?
Anyone have part numbers?
Thanks

I went to autozone got two kits but not for duster but same vintage dodge believe it was a sedan. Pins were the same except it had a extra small one and two small bushings (discarded) top hinge the bushings drive out the bottom ones need a litlle drilling to accomodate the bushings because they dont use them factory drill out both in a drill press to keep them in line tap in bushings and grind the tops down a little to fit in other oart of hinge takes about 20 mins per one

Yeah I rebuild the hindges on the car too. There is a lot more work involved to remove the hindge halves from the door and body.
I put a short piece of 2X4 on the floor jack and set hiegth just at the weight of the door then drive the pins out. A preplanned place to lay the door is a good idea too. If your jack doesn't leak it should be just right for rehanging the door.
You'll be drilling for a added bushing and grinding away 1/16" or so of thickness to accomodate the thrust flange on that added bushing.
Drill diameter needed ? I want to say 19/32" . Measure the bushings to be sure. Good luck

Thanks for the replies.
anyone have an idea on how long the little brass bushings will last for a daily driver? If I'm going to use an old set of hinges for the rebuild I may just weld the holes shut and drill new ones to accommodate the new pins.

Have someone help you remove the door and masking tape the edges of door and car so nothing gets chipped on removal or installation

-
Back