door hinge repair

-

loops

Reaction score
any tips on repairing upper and lower hinges on 73 2 door swinger? what size drill do you use....smaller than bushing , so that you have to press it in or loose? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the O.D. of the bushing with a micrometer or caliper and use a drill bit that will give a snug slip fit. If the bit is the same size, you can ream it to perfection. The end goal is to eliminate slop in the hinge. That's how I did mine and they are solid. If the bushing spins in the hole, but does not wobble from side to side, you're still good. I don't know the measurements for your particular hinges, but the method I described will get you there.

thanks.....just did not want to undersize hole and crush bushing when tapping into new hole.

Check the O.D. of the bushing with a micrometer or caliper and use a drill bit that will give a snug slip fit. If the bit is the same size, you can ream it to perfection. The end goal is to eliminate slop in the hinge. That's how I did mine and they are solid. If the bushing spins in the hole, but does not wobble from side to side, you're still good. I don't know the measurements for your particular hinges, but the method I described will get you there.

Good info there. I need to do that to my Dart sometime this summer.

-
Back