door lock install for 73 duster

-

MassDuster

Reaction score
when I got my 73 duster, it came with the door lock cylinders, but they were not installed (the car had been repainted). I've never installed a set before, I figure it cant be too hard, but couldnt really figure it out. I think I may be missing some clips, and im not sure how the cylinder works with the rod. Im waiting for a manual to come in, but wanted to get the locks in ASAP so that I could park the car without worrying about it!

Anyone have any advice or diagram scans they could share?

Thanks!

I wish I could help you. I just changed a lock in my 67 today. Frankly, the shop manual diagram is not much help--too small and not very detailed.

The way it works in my 65 Cuda there is a gasket that goes towards the outside of the door skin. Then the lock slides into the hole and there is a spring clip that locks it into place. Then the rod attaches to the end of the lock this can be one of two ways. Either a loop with a z rod or a z rod into a "lock" loop. Hope this helps.

On mine, I ended up leaving the rod in the car and took the end of the lock apart. There's a C clip holding a small lever on. I managed to connect the rod to the lever, then hold the lock up to the hole from the outside, and put it back together.

I'm 63 now and have arthritis. any nimble fingered youngster should be able to do this.

-
Back