Door Lock Operation

-

OKDart

Reaction score
On a 1968 Dart, are the door locks only supposed to lock and unlock when the door is closed? If so, is there a mod that can be done to be able to lock and unlock the door when it's open?

Yep, You'll have to take the latch mechanism out of the door to mod it.
Have a couple of spare keys cut and make sure they work.
The mod will allow you to lock the key in the car.

Y wud u want to destroy the factory antitheft? It makes it impossible to lock your keys in your car. My buddy recently locked his keys in his 75 dart sport an I cud laugh the night away since my 70 swinger can't possibly lock my keys in. Wits the reasoning? I'm really curious haha

Factory changed this in 73. Lots of owners had complained about having to key the door locked rather than hit the button and close it.
Ford and chevy owners had those little magnetic hide a key boxes on there cars. Chrysler products didn't need those for many years.

I didn't get the door keys when I bought the car, the ignition key is different. I'm now at the point of finishing up the interior and have a new lock set on order. I noticed both lock rods are bent, most likely from people trying to lock or unlock the door when it's open. I would rather have a hidden key somewhere on the car than have to keep taking the passenger door panel off and straightening out the lock rod when people bend it while trying to lock it.

-
Back