Door panel restoration and re-dying

-

rub2stix

Reaction score
The door panels in my 70 Dart are not awful. But they're loosening up on the corners/ends. I wonder if I might be able to hit them with a heat gun (gently), re-stretch and re-glue the material. THEN... I'd be interested in spraying a vinyl die on them to change the color.

And the armrests are in good shape, just VERY dirty. So -- clean and spray?

Thoughts and advice?

Scratching my head, I am,
JD

The door panels in my 70 Dart are not awful. But they're loosening up on the corners/ends. I wonder if I might be able to hit them with a heat gun (gently), re-stretch and re-glue the material.

Sounds like a plan, I might suggest using clothes pins to clamp it, and give the glue ample time to dry.

And the armrests are in good shape, just VERY dirty. So -- clean and spray?

Yup, clean them real good. When you have them clean first use adhesion promoter and then two or three lite coats of the spray dye to cover them. I have done several items in my interior and they look great.

Thoughts and advice?

Scratching my head, I am,
JD

Good advice from BadSport. May want to assess condition of vinyl first. Look at back of door panel where upholstery is wrapped around. If it is stiff and easily cracked the re-glue effort may not go well.

X2 on adhesion promoter! I like the SEM product line, but there may be other good ones out there these days. Vinyl dyes work well for me on dash pads and door panels, not so good in wear areas such as seats and arm rests. I have had trouble with white dye looking chalky after it dries. Shiny ArmorAll brought it around.

I used simple green then SEM vinyl cleaner and adhession promotor. Then used interior vinyl paint from Herbs. They have all the mopar colors. My interior came out great and is holding up very well, including the back seat. I've also used SEM colors as well but they aren't mopar specific. You can't go wrong either way I think.

http://www.herbsparts.com/products.asp?cat=823

Thanks, all, for your guidance. The interior is currently green, and we'll keep part of it green, but want to accent much of the door panels with the 1970 Y3 "Cream" color, like we're going to paint the car. Seat upholstery will likewise be green with cream inserts.

The vinyl shrinks with age and gets brittle too. A heat gun will likely do more harm than good. You can change the color though. Good luck

-
Back