door removal

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am getting ready to remove the doors on my 68 barracuda for paint. I am happy with the door gap, so is there a way to drill 1/8" holes in the hinges somewhere to help line up when I reinstall the doors or us there any other tips.. thanks for any advice. .

Yep just drill a 1/8" locating hole through the body and hinge upper and lower

So then I would be unbolting the hinges from the Pilar correct
Yep just drill a 1/8" locating hole through the body and hinge upper and lower
? Can I do that with the fenders on? Thanks

Last edited:
You could drive out the hinge pins and reinstall with new bushing/pin kits. The drivers door hinges have to be worn even if the latch post lifts and aligns the door when its closed. At 50 years use, the wear is there, no doubt about it. My passengers door needed hinge service about 3 years later than the drivers door.
You wouldn't want The typical ( door weight broke a large hole in the B-pillar at the post ) scenario a couple years later anyway.

Ok.. so that way I would leave both leafs of the hinge bolted to the door/ car, and separate the hinge at the pin. So when I repin the hinge I keep the existing alignment. Something to think about thanks
You could drive out the hinge pins and reinstall with new bushing/pin kits. The drivers door hinges have to be worn even if the latch post lifts and aligns the door when its closed. At 50 years use, the wear is there, no doubt about it. My passengers door needed hinge service about 3 years later than the drivers door.
You wouldn't want The typical ( door weight broke a large hole in the B-pillar at the post ) scenario a couple years later anyway.

-
Back