Door Striker Bushings !!!!!

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
On the 74 A's, and other years I suppose, there is a bushing system on the impact cylinder of the door striker bolt............

There is a thin steel bushing over the bolt cylinder, and a rubber bushing that goes UNDER the steel bushing to absorb the impact of the door latch, and make the closing of the door smoother and quieter.

I need some new rubber bushings...............Is there a supplier that you guys know of that reproduces these little guys?????

The doors just aren't right without them. I've had to remove and clean the strikers, and the rubber on one is destroyed........HELP would be appreciated.

I could make some, but it's a pain and it won't be right. Anybody ??

I believe you have to buy the entire striker - they're not serviceable. I have a used one that is showing wear but the rubber is intact. You may have it for the price of postage.

New ones are priced like gold for some reason.

Well, the only place with any kind of a price is Year One at about $20. per new striker bolt assembly (A's)..........that's not bad, all things considered.

The only alternative I can come up with is a thin rubber sheet wrapped around the bolt and 3m glued in place........BUT, I'm having a hard time finding the right thickness of rubber for the new bushing...has to be exact.

I could easily rebuild the assembly if I find the correct gauge rubber. Gotta think. :banghead:

Automotive innertube is a little too thick..........BUT, some bicycle tube might work.........Good thought.

Nylon would be too stiff I think.....wouldn't absorb the impact of the striker well enough.........at least not for a factory "feel"...........

Tube would be a good bet..........I'll have to go measure some...........8)

What about the strikers in the "Help" section at your local parts store? They are only 4-9 bucks. I used them on an old dart I had years ago and they worked great.

The hindges wear, the door sags, the latch eats the striker, in that order.
If you replace the hinge bushings first, the new striker will correctly place exactly where the original is. If you only replace the striker you can expect to reposition it for proper latching.

Until I get the proper rubber to work with, I've redone the bolt with a winding of electrical tape.......trimmed it just right for thickness, and reinstalled the steel bushing over it........

It's surprisingly quiet, but not as good as that soft rubber. It'll do for now.

The "help" strikers are not in stock here, so I haven't had a chance to see what they're made of. :-D

As a footnote, the striker bolts are not really worn much and the door pins are nice and tight.......They just never addressed the bad bushings........It really makes a difference in the sound and feel of the closing door.

I wasn't going to mention it yesterday but since you already did it I feel better. Black tape will do wonders. LOL!

360Scamp is there a brand X application that works? I checked the Help section out and had them go on the computer with nothing listed.

any update on this?

Checking the parts still available from dodge archive I see they have them and on the archive it said it lists for $22.75U.S called the parts department and they quoted me $80 a pop!! mentioned my usual parts guys name and it dropped to $65 but still robbery

try looking at Mcmaster-Carr's website. Alhough they aren't automotive, I'm sure they'll have something usable to replace the rubber piece. Cutting, trimming and cursing may be required.

www.mcmaster.com

My source for door related parts is often the rear doors of a 4 door car. if you can catch a much later model to rob you might find like new strickers.

try looking at Mcmaster-Carr's website. Alhough they aren't automotive, I'm sure they'll have something usable to replace the rubber piece. Cutting, trimming and cursing may be required.

www.mcmaster.com

mcmaster is awesome, order parts at 6 o'clock, have them next day at noon...

Well I found a set of striker bushings in a Help! section at a bigger Canadian Tire PN#238424

You get 2 short and 2 long plastic teflon like bushins that you put on in place of the steel collar and rubber. Works good I just cut the long ones to size door close much nicer and more solid.

I might buy the expensive factory ones better when the striker mounts get fixed, the PO butched the repair job.

I have a brand new one just sitting here that I got from Year One... I hate to have to mess up my paint job to fix it ... but I will one day I guess.

Well I found a set of striker bushings in a Help! section at a bigger Canadian Tire PN#238424

You get 2 short and 2 long plastic teflon like bushins that you put on in place of the steel collar and rubber. Works good I just cut the long ones to size door close much nicer and more solid.

I might buy the expensive factory ones better when the striker mounts get fixed, the PO butched the repair job.

Wow! Thanks!

I might go the route instead.

i've squared up the steel sleeve and pumped the void full of butyl caulk then when it dried i cleaned off the excess with a wire brush on my bench grinder. 5 years and counting. no problem yet. btw silicone is too soft. i've tried it too.

-
Back